4L60e Driveline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
You guys are haters on the 80s-90s OD's. lol! I have a relatively stockish 700 built in 03 and its behind a mild 455, 375-475 hp/tq at the wheels. I had problems with it but it was only due to the setup of the 1-2 accumulator.
I'm not hating on the 80s-90s OD's we are on here to help each other and educate one another on what is best. in the 80s and 90s it was a big deal to have 350hp so them transmissions were fine for back then. today if your building a hot rod your going to be easily around 700hp with almost no effort ! transmission builders will always propose a 4L60E so they can make more money over time. like i said in my post before BE HONEST with yourself in where you see yourself with your car and how much "REAL HP " it has.

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
like i said in my post before BE HONEST with yourself in where you see yourself with your car and how much "REAL HP " it has.

Why do I need to be honest? Im not making numbers up. Chassis dyno numbers pretty much match time slips. Not shooting for big hp numbers. Heathy mild street car can do just fine with correctly built 200 or 700 trans. That tv cable saves a ton of money over the expensive trans controllers.

Reactions: 1 users

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
Why do I need to be honest? Im not making numbers up. Chassis dyno numbers pretty much match time slips. Not shooting for big hp numbers. Heathy mild street car can do just fine with correctly built 200 or 700 trans. That tv cable saves a ton of money over the expensive trans controllers.
I never said you were making anything up lets be clear here. the 455 375-475 hp/tq like you stated is a great little engine and all around drivability.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I'm impressed with DW's, that the 700R4 hasn't died. Stock the 2004R, 700R4 and 4L60-70E all sucked. I was told by a couple of people, the regular, low performance 2004R would last around 130,000 Km before giving up from new. I saw the 700R4 and 4L60E in trucks and the F body with various mileage, not great at all, especially towing and the 3/4 clutch pack. GM had a long standing TSB and a cheap replacement transmission with a 3 year warranty for the LS equipped 4L65-70E trucks. I like the 2004R for its gear ratios and how it is a direct swap for the TH350. Guys claim the 2004R is the strongest of the 3 built with Billet parts. If I get another 88 to 95 GMC or Chebby Z71, along with an Olds V8, a 4L80E swap would also be on list. On my last 94 Z71 when the GM reman 4L60E got the dreaded weak reverse, I found a used, just rebuilt 4L60E at the junkyard for $350. It had the warranty and worked great. As long as he has a really good warranty, doesn't abuse it hard and it is built properly, it may live a long life, with some luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
You guys are haters
When someone says this, they lose any respect I could give them.
I'll elaborate....
I have a relatively stockish 700 built in 03 and its behind a mild 455, 375-475 hp/tq at the wheels. I had problems with it but it was only due to the setup of the 1-2 accumulator.
Explain this given that design is where the 2-3 is the weak point.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I'll be that guy that says a "properly" built 4L60 will hold up for 70% of the people that use them and DON'T buy used and expect racecar, add shift improvers and expect racecar, make a racecar out of an unknown trans and expect racecar, etc.

Said it, don't care.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
When someone says this, they lose any respect I could give them.
I'll elaborate....

Explain this given that design is where the 2-3 is the weak point.

Well elaborate then. Im not begging for your respect. You took the lol out of my quote, makes a difference. Is it tough to hear when someone says a r4 has been holding up to a little power? Back in 03 my transmission shop said they could build a 700 that’ll live. I’ve seen several 700s go to abusive applications and live. I’ve passed over several r4 bashing threads and not saying anything. Doesn’t matter to me that much.

Yes the 3rd gear clutches have been a problem. Mine is still hanging in there. Big issues with mine was a blocked 1-2 accumulator. Harsh shifts, sticky track, and sticky tires meant rear planetary and output shaft destruction. Ive since searched and learned then smoothed out the shifts.

• Dislike

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
I may not know zip over 700R4 transmissions, but mine('91 model) seems to be holding up rather well behind my ZZ4 crate engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor