4L60E possible bad torque converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Since a few of you guys run 4L60E on your LS motors, maybe you all could help me on this. My '08 Silverado started to make a sound like clutch chatter at times over 55 mph & at times coming to a stop. It will go away when I give it gas. I don't feel a vibrations at all & it doesn't happen all the time. It mostly happens after everything has warmed up. The transmission dosen't slip, still shifts smooth & when it should. This all started right when I started to notice the left front wheel bearing was going. I did try to hit the brakes to see if it could be the solenoid but didn't stop the chatter. The only other thing I cam across is it could be the diffs (G80 gov-lock?) due to old oil. I'm trying to avoid worse case with a $2800 rebuild/replace at the the only transmission shop in the area, a franchise AAMCO that doesn't have a good rep.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Mine did that after rebuild while coming to a stop sometimes. ..

Attachments

• 20161213_113553.jpg
    20161213_113553.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 577

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Got some what good news, but still bad news. It is not the transmission, its my pinion bearing on its way out. My options are either open it up & redo the bearings & seals or pony up to a remain with warranty complete axle. Just gotta figure how much I want screw with our Christmas now. :mad:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Got some what good news, but still bad news. It is not the transmission, its my pinion bearing on its way out. My options are either open it up & redo the bearings & seals or pony up to a remain with warranty complete axle. Just gotta figure how much I want screw with our Christmas now. :mad:
Well, at least you know what it is. Since timing is bad just give it what it needs. New bearings and seals. Is there a competent shop where you are, or are you comfortable with doing it?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm going to have someone else do is as I don't have the time & need to fight with work to advance mileage help cover as they hired it & I'm just its accessory. The frame & axle shop that was able to figure it out from the sound & its timing to do so won't touch it cause it being a newer truck but told me of a few that might. I just need to keep my overall repair cost since I started this job in April 2014 to stay under $10k for now. If I haveto go with the complete rearend it'll be $1500+core & labor, but atleast it comes with a 3 year/ 30,000 warranty.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I think you ought to be able to have it repaired for less than $1000. I was thinking more like $600- $700 unless if the pinion is damaged.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor