4l80e in 85MCSS neutral safety & reverse lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just got my 4l80e back from a rebuild and looking at the neutral safety switch etc. Wondering what people have done with the wiring, or is the neutral safety switch and reverse lights on the column. I looked at my original shifter and there is no wiring, and I'm going to use the linkage rods that go to the column for park etc. The 4l80e has a big switch on the side itself, but I don't think I need it??

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
You don't need it for the trans to function at all. All the sender did in OEM applications was change the display on the dash and trigger the reverse lights.

Reactions: 1 user

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Does the Gbody linkage control locking of the steering wheel when in Park? Looks like using the Gbody linkage with the 4L80 might be a little work. (adjustment etc.) I'd rather use the 4L80 switch if all I need is p/n safety switch and reverse lights? Wiring is easier that extending the rod etc

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The big switch on the side of the transmission is the lever position sensor for the PCM. The 81-88 G body columns have the reverse lights and a Park/Neutral sensing switch (for the early feed back carb PCM) on the top of the column. There is no neutral safety switch as that is performed by the steering column itself by not allowing the key to turn in the Reverse or Drive positions. Some of of the earlier A/G bodies in the 78-81 period have the purple and yellow wires for the starter taped into the harness with a jumper connecting them. This was for the neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal on manual transmission cars. If you really need a neutral safety switch you could incorporate these if your car has them.

Last edited:

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Going to take a look this weekend to see what exactly I need to do.
Flemming42, the rod you are talking about is the one with the spring correct? It goes into the bracket on the proportioning valve.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Going to take a look this weekend to see what exactly I need to do.
Fleming442, the rod you are talking about is the one with the spring correct? It goes into the bracket on the proportioning valve.
No, the backdrive rod from the bellcrank at the trans up to the column... I would think a 4 speedd auto (2004r) rod would work, but the 3 speed rod was a touch too short. I cut it, and welded a schedule 80 3/8" pipe nipple in to lengthen the rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor