4L80E w/external NSS -- need wiring help (got a diagram?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
My 1999 4L80E is installed behind my 454, and I am controlling it with a TCI EZ-TCU and a junkyard floor shifter from a FWD Grand Prix. As far as that stuff goes, it is all working well. However, if you were to crawl under my car and look at the side of the transmission, you'd see something very similar to this:

4L80E-with-NSS-lg.jpg

The external neutral safety switch assembly has its wires just hanging in mid air, attached to nothing. I haven't yet wired them in since they were not critical to getting the car running. But now that I'm driving, I realize I have no backup lights. I also have nothing preventing the starter from engaging while the trans is in gear. These seemingly trivial issues can be a big deal, so I'd like to overcome them. (For those who are not aware, the EZ-TCU has no outputs/controls for these capabilities.)

I am Googling around looking for info, but the answers are eluding me. I know there are other members here who have swapped a 4L80E into their cars. How did you guys figure out this portion of the swap? Is there a good web site that I just haven't found yet?

Any help you can provide would be very... helpful.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
What wiring/switches do you have for your floor shifter? If you had a B&M , Hurst, or likewise, the reverse and neutral/park functions would be handled inside there. Do you have the factory wiring in the dash?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Forgot to add, I like your car and your build. Perhaps you have future plans for full exterior restoration, but I like original look that your car has. It's a true sleeper. Grab a couple 275 drag radials and see what happens :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor