4th gen f-body handbrake, which cables to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
So with my manual swap into my 82 GP I removed the parking brake pedal to gain more room down there and because I like the handbrake better.

I'm still currently using the stock drums in the back. I have pulled a set of rear brakes from a 98 Camaro, but the parking brake needs to be rebuilt and I don't want to mess with moving the rear shocks right now.

The cable coming off of the hand brake will go in the driveshaft tunnel and it looks like this:

Ah2P6cj.png

Here is what the drum brake cable from the 4th gen camaros looks like:
K0pWX1j.png

notice how the end link on those cables is mounted sideways to fit into the front cable. I haven't ordered one of these cables yet so I'm not sure if it will fit the g-body drums. I did notice that the g-body cables have a spring inside of them though.

passenger side:
KTaEDYV.png

driver side:
JbQKcOd.png

Has anyone done this before? Hoping to get some thoughts on the best way to hook this thing up.
I'd like to make sure the parking brake works before I start driving the car since it's a manual now.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the F body handbrake from a 4rd gen F body in my GP and I used the stock F body cables. I fabricated a bracket similar to the bracket the F body used and welded that to the tunnel

114375d1143221803-lt1-rear-parking-brake-photo_122605_001.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
Excellent! This is exactly what I was hoping for. Ordering a set of those cables right now.

So there shouldn't be any issue with using the f-body cables even though they have no springs?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Excellent! This is exactly what I was hoping for. Ordering a set of those cables right now.

So there shouldn't be any issue with using the f-body cables even though they have no springs?

I have a 67 Chevelle rear which has the same parking brake components that the G body 7.5 has, even the same drums, and the F body cables hook up the same as what the G body cables do. I have my GP lowered so the drive shaft would rub on the bracket I made if the suspension compressed enough. It was an easy fix with my mallet though. You will also want to tie up the cables so they don't end up rubbing on the driveshaft. Zip ties worked well to solve that problem

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
I have an excellent cond fbody console to accompany this breaking mod.also have the complete cable,brackets from fbody IOC needed/wanted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor