4th Gen Fbody Rear Disc Install with E/Parking Brake Fully Functional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
This thread is to show what I did for the Rear Disc Brakes on my 1984 Monte SS.

Front Brakes are C5Z06 setup on Blazer Spindles

I used the Rear Disc Brakes from a 1995 LT1 Camaro Z28. I wanted them because they came from an old car of mine and they clear 15" Drag Wheels with minimal clearancing needed. The information here will be pretty much the same if you use the LS Fbody Rear Disc Brakes, or Corvette Rear Disc Brakes.

Pic of them on my SS how it sits.

EXHAUST.jpg

LT1 REAR DISC.jpg

I ordered a QP 9" Housing that had Fbody End Caps on them so everything bolted right up.

I have the Disc/Disc Combination Valve installed on my SS.

PROPORTIONING BLOCK.jpg

PROPORTIONING BLOCKS.jpg

PROPORTIONING BLOCK INSTALLED.jpg

However you get them bolted up the process is the same:

Install Backing Plates
Install Axles
Bolt up Calipers, check clearance with Rotors
Hook up Brake Lines and Ebrake Cables

Brake Lines are pretty straight forward, hook them up and properly bleed the system.

The E-Brake/Parking Brake hook the stock Fbody/Corvette cables to the levers on the Calipers and integrate them into the setup on the Gbody however is best.

Here are the cables hooked to the levers on the Calipers and locked into the small Brackets.

EBRAKE LEVER CABLE2.jpg

EBRAKE LEVER CABLE.jpg

I mounted the Bracket from the Fbody here above the muffler that takes these 2 cables and hooks them to a single cable going to the front of the car.

EBRAKE.jpg

Now here's the technical..

For the Gbody guys running 4th Gen Fbody Rear Disc Brakes or Corvette Rear Disc Brakes and need the E-brake/parking brake to work I solved that problem.

The Gbody uses the floor pedal, the Fbody & Corvette uses the hand lever, both have different fulcrum lengths of pull. The foot pedal travels roughly twice as far as the cable pull on the Fbody & Corvette Rear Calipers. This makes a 2:1 ratio.

I fabricated and installed a small lever on the frame to give the setup that 2:1 reduction from the foot pedal to the pull on the Calipers. A turnbuckle is installed on the Caliper side to make fine adjustments on the setup. It works perfectly. The cables have no slack or tension when the E-brake/parking brake is not in use, and when the pedal is almost fully depressed the brake is fully set with the car not moving on a 15* incline.

Here is the lever installed on the frame with the cables hooked up. You can see where I used Ubolts to loop the cable and hold it in place, been working fine. Just make sure there are no sharp edges.

EBRAKE LEVER.jpg

This is a close up of the lever with the brake engaged, just a simple 2:1 reduction mounting point for both cables and bolted to the frame rail.

EBRAKE LEVER2.jpg

The two above pics are older pics, since then the Cross Member had been modified and is sitting ontop of the Frame Rail like it should be and the cables clear under it fine.

Here is the cable going from the lever to the junction where it splits into both sides. The turnbuckle is for fine adjustments.

EBRAKE LEVER3.jpg

This has been working in my SS with zero issue since this thread was posted in June 2016. The 2:1 Ratio is key with the Fbody & Corvette Rear Disc Brakes. Blazer Rear Disc using the Foot Pedal you most likely wouldn't need to do that.

All 4 corners work excellent with the Disc/Disc Combination Valve.

These above are older pictures, since I put my front C5Z06 Calipers on now, they all are red. :)

SS SIDE.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that's nice work, I did it the easy way and installed the hand brake I got from the F body. I have a stick and 4 pedals would have confused me. If you ever need to change the calipers the 1980 Caddy Seville calipers fit and the parking brake set up looks a little cleaner than the F body calipers

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that for me is still confusing......:doh:

how did you figure out what reduction ratio you needed?

Last edited:

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach

@Built6spdMCSS.....​

Would you happen to have those images (in the first post) stored on your computer?
Yup at the very bottom of the first post I mentioned I'll update it, I'll add a few more to this also. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor