4TH GEN LY6 and 3rd GEN 4l80

Status
Not open for further replies.

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
I am trying to decide the best direction to go with my harness and controllers. I knew months ago that intermingling older and newer parts would present compatibility problems. So I have a 4l80 Gen 3 transmission, an LY6 Gen 4 engine with a Gen 4 donor vehicle that has a 6l80. What is the best way to make the 24x and 58x work together? I spoke to a local LS1 guy who can make a Gen 3 harness for me and use the Lingenfelter conversion box. Is this the best solution for my application? Total cost for harness, Lingenfelter and basic tune is about $650. Are there better options? I'm not using VVT but want to keep DBW. Any suggestions appreciated.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
That's probably the easiest solution. Trans control seems to be more of an obstacle than engine control.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Check out the chevy van ecm software versions. They were usually a step behind the trucks with stuff. I'm betting you will find one with 4th gen engine control and a 4 speed trans, or at least one you can sector swap the trans control over and wire it in.

Reactions: 1 user

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
Thanks guys. I told the guy to start on my harness and programming tomorrow.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I guess I'm a little late with my reply, but check out my thread on the 4L80E swap in my 2008 Sierra. My truck has an E38 PCM and T42 TCM. My truck originally had a 4L60E. It was no problem for my tuner to segment swap in the transmission control program for an Express van. The swap only required minor modifications to my wiring harness to accommodate the 4L80E. This is the way I recommend you go. This way you run a 4th gen PCM with your 4th gen 58x engine which will support the DBW that you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
I guess I'm a little late with my reply, but check out my thread on the 4L80E swap in my 2008 Sierra. My truck has an E38 PCM and T42 TCM. My truck originally had a 4L60E. It was no problem for my tuner to segment swap in the transmission control program for an Express van. The swap only required minor modifications to my wiring harness to accommodate the 4L80E. This is the way I recommend you go. This way you run a 4th gen PCM with your 4th gen 58x engine which will support the DBW that you want.

Thanks Texas82GP. I decided to go with a Gen 3 harness, ECM and the Lingenfelter converter. It isn't exactly how I wanted to go but seems like a simple, clean reliable solution.

G.P.

Apprentice
Sep 21, 2019
MAGA North
Man im even later to the mix.. but if you're poor like me. Cough##
the wiring needed is minimal-nothing typically.

or maybe i read the OP wrong this site is usually always helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor