5.3 install into a Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
My buddy bought this Cutlass with a v6 and we're working on getting it running now that we've dropped a 5.3 from an Avalanch in it. Hooked up the computer, sprayed some starter fluid down the throttle body and it started on the first crank. Video is of the 3rd and 4 starts, we still have to plumb the fuel lines, install the sender and wire it up. More videos to follow as we get this thing running and hopefully take it for a test drive this weekend.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
did you get VATS tuned out? i would plumb the fuel system first .. :mrgreen:

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yeah vats is off, we got it to run longer but the vid was too big to upload. Yep fuel lines are next up.

Wahoo

n00b
Aug 28, 2012
What's your swap consist of, engine mounts, transmission mounts? Hows everything to together?

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
He bought the engine and harness from an 01 1500. The guy was moving out of state and had given up on his buggy project so he sold it. We threw in a Comp big mother thumper Chevy High performance used in one of there 400 horsepower builds. All i can say is DAMN LS cams are expemsive! The harness was modified and has some sort of 3 fuse fuse lock but Vats etc is turned off. Don't know who did the harness so we've just been figuring out how to wire this thing up. For motor mounts we used the Transdapt 1 inch setback mounts and frame mounts for an 80's Gbody

I donated a th350 I had in a Regal project I've put on the back shelf and he bought a 2500 stall converter and put in a B&M shift kit.

We have some problems getting the injectors to fire still so we are planning on working on it again this afternoon. Hopefully I'll get some video of it running on its own without starter fluid and we can work on getting some exhaust under it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
Oh yeah he had to get a diff flex plate and bushing for the end of the crank as the bushing stuck out too far for the torque converter. The transmission bolted to the motor just fine otherwise and he replaced the factory crossmember a Gforce dual exhaust crossmember.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor