5.3 turbo 86 ss

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsteen

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2012
I have been slowly accumulating parts for my swap and the end is near. For some background my car is an 86 monte carlo ss. Ive had it for about 4 years and have put 130k miles on its 330hp vortec head crate engine and 700r4. I love the car but it is becoming worn out. I have purchased a 99 5.3 lm7 from a silverado. It has a stock bottom end with an ls6 cam and springs, gm mls head gaskets, and arp studs. Overall a VERY mild build that i feel will hold up to a considerable amount of boost from my single s475 turbo. I am going to try utilizing the stock truck intake, accessories, and oil pan. To stick with the budget in mind i bought a book and movie and rebuilt my own th400 with a stage 2 kit from jakes performance that they use in their stage 2 th400's rated to 750hp. I have a new tci 2500 stall converter to complete the package. I would love a well build 4l80 or t56 but the price just wasnt in the cards. From my research here i see everybody using 1" setback mounts and clam shell motor mounts. I plan on doing the same. I have a few questions that i have not found during my searches.

First question: I see alot of people swapping a 700r4 in while looking through posts but i dont see alot of people swapping out a 700r4 for a th400. What will i need to do for a crossmember?

Second question: I see alot of people using flipped truck manifolds when running a turbo kit. Where is everyone running a single turbo mounting the turbo? Is there engouh room in front of the engine to have it dump right into the throttle body? Left or right front engine bay? I will be non-intercooled with water-meth to cut down on some of the piping.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
My cousin had a 87Ttype with a 6.0, big cam, intake, same 475S turbo, aftermarket intake and a few other things. Block was stock except for rod bolts which he threw in later. Made like 850 wheel horse on 17ish psi if I remember right. Had it up past 20 and he estimated it at like just under 1000 on a stock block and heads. He used a bone stock 4L80E with nothing done to it and it held the horse fine. That might work for you.

Ive seen most people with flipped manifolds cut the flange off and then weld a band clamp to it.

This should help you out. He ran nonintercooled BTW but he had home built manifolds. I know of a G body LS turbo kit for sale if you want to buy a kit.
IMG_1272.jpg

Heres his album
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc19 ... 3QQtppZZ20

jmsteen

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2012
Ya id be very interested in the kit if you could give me some more info on it!!

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Here is a picture of it. Guy that built it owns a shop and specalises in the stuff. Not sure what it costs, mild steel but is done really nice. It was built off my old cuntlass thats getting turned into a drag car with twin 70's on a 5.3 so it should all fit your monte really nice.

Contact info-
Nathan Shaw
Phone:763-221-1755
Email:eek:[email protected]

turbocutlass.jpg

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
ooooh i can't wait to get my ls swap done!! That would be next on my list... :mrgreen: Super nice GN :shock: quick ? how did he convert it over to rack and pinion steering?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
It ran low/mid 10's if I rememer right. Didnt have a roll bar so it never made many runs. Guy that bought it from him ran mid 9's as it sat. From what I knew last the motor got pulled an stuck in a malibu and the GN got stolen.

He bought the rack from TRZ from what I thought he told me.
http://trzmotorsports.com/wordpress/?pr ... sion-kit-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor