5.3l help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyduz

n00b
Nov 22, 2012
fruit cove fl
I want to get myself a 5.3l and do a single turbo to it. I would like to know how much boost is safe to run on a stock bottom end? I'm thinking around 8-10. I don't want to mess with the bottom end. That being said what would need to be done in order to run a single turbo, and which size turbo should i get? thank you, new to g body's and new to gm all together. Thought I would like a challenge coming from ford to gm.

kyhunter89

Greasemonkey
Jul 27, 2007
KY
i've seen people run everything from 62's to 108's, a 67 to 76 is a better idea, depending upon street car/race car etc.

Dr. Rudy

Greasemonkey
Mar 19, 2011
Pennsylvania
yea, hot rod magazine took a 4.8l to 27 psi and like 1200hp on the stock bottom end so have at it.

bigmandengo

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2010
tyduz said:
bigmandengo said:
Check out the "forced induction" section on ls1tech.com. Their is tons of infos on 5.3 setups.
thanks. What trany will best hook up to that?

A th400 or 4l80e seem to be the most popular choice behind boosted engines.

XCESSIV6

Apprentice
Apr 5, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
You need to run at least a sixty series turbo but if you are running pump gas I would not run more that 10 lbs of boost the stock rods are junk, I had buddies bend them with 18 on E85. What management system are you going to Run and I would use the stock intake it to big and cheap plastic.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Stock rods on 5.3's are junk? Thats the first time Ive ever heard that.

Theres a stock block 5.3 on the bullet that runs 8's and hundreds in the 10's that have never had an issue.

XCESSIV6

Apprentice
Apr 5, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
There ok for na motor if you put more than 15 lbs boost to them you are taking chances in a turbo application.
THe blocks and the cranks are good for 1000 hp. I seen it first hand and talked to engine builders about who build a lot of LS motors. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor