5.7 LS or small block 350??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPsMonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2013
Michigan
Im new and need some help. Im not trying to build a drag car just a cruiser but still go fast when I want to. I have a friend that just droped a 350 in his monte and he regrets not going LS but then I have another friend that says small block is the easier way to go.
Whats your opinion guys?? Thank you

88MCsupersport

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2012
flushing new york
a 5.7 ls is a 350 with fuel injection, you'll also need to change your engine wiring harness if you put a carbureted 350 you can keep the same harness and it'll be cheaper and faster to do the swap personally its all what you prefer, shop around and see what go fast parts you can get for both engines see which ones are cheaper and that you would prefer to install.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
If your vehicle already has a SBC or 4.3 liter 262 Chevy v6 another SBC 350 is easy. LS being totally different than a SBC you're looking at new headers, mounts, etc. just to start. If your car has a different platform then why not go LS. More power stock, better mileage, more technically advance but a little pricier. I've been contemplating doing a 421 LS swap on E-85 actually, I just haven't decided yet if I will built a Little M block 421 or a LS based 421.

JPsMonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2013
Michigan
Thanx guys. I can get either motor for same price but I think Im going with the sbc 350. Im gonna keep it a street car for now and I dont have a lot of time, I work a lot of hours. Iits my first rebuild so I want to keep it simple.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I have done two 350 sbc swaps and they are nice and easy, that being said you can get more power out of an LS and still maintain drive-ability but it is a much more complicated and expensive swap.
P.S. - I hate computers, traditional sbc all the way!!

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
A SBC 350 is the easier swap if your car already has a Chevy. With an LS you have to change everything and pretty much need a whole donor car and adaptor kits. You will have to upgrade the car to OBD2 to make the LS swap legal. Plus you need a good tuner to tune the computer so you don't have bogging. I swapped out a Buick V6 for a Chevy 305 in my Regal and I just used mostly factory parts, even swapping in the 305's CCC system was easy.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
JPsMonteSS said:
Definitely not looking for complicated doing my first swap
what route did you want to go? what did your car come with? ls swaps aren't that hard just some $$ :D If using stock parts a lot cheaper and doable.. I am glad I did my ls swap and happy to convert to a t56 was waaaay worth it!! But I will admit a traditional sbc build would have been allot more cheaper!! BUT not as fun!! :mrgreen: RESEARCH!!

JPsMonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2013
Michigan
Not sure which route I wanted that's why I was asking you guys. It just has the stock 305 in it now. Im just short on time even tho winter isnt even here yet. I work 72hrs a wk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor