5+ years as a daily update

Status
Not open for further replies.

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Sorry if this turns into a long rant, but you guys love this stuff.:LOL:
So going on almost 6 years ago I bought my wagon. I bought it to use as a cool semi daily for the wife, and as a backup ride. We really do drive this car a lot. I mean a lot. We don't drive it in anything but dry weather, but do use it as a four season driver. I haul trash in it to the dump, I drive it on the interstate in 50-100 mile clips on a regular basis. If nothing else it has proven reliable.
I thought I paid a bit much for it when I bought it, but have sense realized what a good deal this has been. I paid $3750 for it btw. The car has virtually no rust except for the hatch area has about 4-5in rust in the gutter area. I think it is a common area for this. A couple bubbles in the paint are starting to show up also, I think because the paint prep was crappy, and the fact it was done back in the late 90's early 2000's.

I've done almost nothing to the car except minor routine maintenance. I'd be surprised if I've spent more than 5 or 600 hundred on it in the time I've had it. And that includes the frontend, f41 steering box, jeep shaft upgrade I did. I think this is more of a testament of how cheap I am and how willing I am to just ride out the little issues it may have.
Well, it's starting to show it's age and neglect. The tires are cracking, shocks leaking and worn, springs shot, bushings worn out ect.

So by now your probably thinking, OH BOY, another build thread is starting up...Nope, not here. I don't have the skills, tools, space, or patience much less the funding...I'm that guy that would rather buy a really nice car somebody poured money into, for a cheap price It may not be exactly the way I would build a car, but it's good enough for me.
So, moving on...This past winter my wonderful neighbors let their dog outside unattended. I have no problem with dogs. I love them, I own them myself. Wonderful companions. However, that dog attacked my pontiac. Yes, I said attacked my pontiac. Here are a couple pics of the damage it did.

20180419_145831.jpg
20180419_145856.jpg
20180419_145918.jpg

Crazy Huh?
To say I was ticked off would be putting it kindly. However, the neighbor was very willing to right the wrong. So I took the car to have several estimates done. Ranging from the low of $900 to a high of $1500...As we all know, you can't match old beat paint. That's the biggest bummer to me. The paint wasn't perfect, but was acceptable to me. So I got $900 hundo's from the neighbor. Not what I would like, but it was all I could ask for.

Not sure at this time as to what direction I will go from here. A patch job to me would look worse than the current damage. I'm thinking about doing the bodywork myself although my skills are limited. The fender has little dents from the clawing. Hard to see in the pics. The header was a surprise to me as I didn't know it was full of bondo.
One idea I have kickin around is to do a plasti-dip paint job. It would cover the whole car on the cheap, and If I hate it, I can peel it off.
Anyhow, on to the next subject, Are you still reading? Hello!!! Wake up, I'm still ranting.

Have I mentioned how much I hate polished aluminum rims. They require more maintenance than the Queen of England. The rims on the pontiac can always be cleaned up given time and patience. BUT, I hate them so much. They are so dated looking to me. AND, the rims are 16 fronts with 225/55 and rears are 17's with 245.45's. It looks fricken awkward with taller sidewalls on the front. I hate it lol.

My options here would be to put new tires on the rims I hate, or to get something I like. I'm old school. I like steelies and dog dish. I found the pontiac caps from 60's era pontiacs over on Year One...I think it would look really nice with black rims and shiny new pontiac caps 15in 235front, 255rear. I could do this for about a $1000...Orrrr, I can be my usual cheap self and get 225/50/16 fronts, 255/50/17 rears for the much hated aluminum rims. Yes, I'm willing to put just tires on and keep the hated rims and clean them ALL the fricken time. I could get just tires for about $400...

Next subject. This one needs immediate attention...SPRINGS, we all love that subject right? Well I do love the current stance of lowness. I have no rub issues at all. However, the current springs are of unknown source. They aren't even for a G in the rear. Option here are the Moog 5660 fronts(not immediately)and unsure of what works on the rear...The rear springs have some helper thingies in them, and one spring doesn't even ride on the axle perch. Shocks are too long, so the springs could just fall out when lifted. Here is a couple pics for ya.

20180419_145240.jpg
20180419_144844.jpg

Although I haven't had an issue yet, I think it's safe to say this is dangerous...I think Moog 5391 are what works here for factory ride height, please correct me if I'm wrong.... Factory ride height is not really what I want unless going with the steelies/dog dish setup...And I would need to do all four springs and do ball joints and bushings which would kill me money wise.
Anybody want to buy a 1970 Mercury Montego, rust free, needs help...lol

I'm not really sure how low the car is from stock, but if I were to guess, I would say 2in rear, and maybe as much as 3in front. Who knows...UMI 2in lower springs/shocks would likely work here unless better(cheaper) ideas are given.

I guess I'm looking for some advice or ideas of how to proceed with this car. I love it and willing to get it back into better than current condition as cash becomes available.

Rant over...btw, just got GP bar and jounce bars, and the core to fender braces from timo

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I was wondering if they were tree huggers who trained their dog to attack a gas guzzler

200w.gif

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
I was wondering if they were tree huggers who trained their dog to attack a gas guzzler

200w.gif

I may be slow to the punch line, but that's funny. And no way are they tree huggers. I wish you could see the garbage they have thrown about, spilling over to my yard. But that's for a different thread and forum lol.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what kind of dog do they have?.....and I don't know how you get along with the neighbors you may want to look at a strict liability laws regarding dog owners for your area....

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It'd look retro, and maybe good/maybe not, BUT.....

You could do some type of a patterned paint ala 1980s early 90s...

You know things like repaint just the header and wrap two wings/lines of paint 2-3" tall going down the side of the car, then repaint under that line on the sides.

Or you could do angled paint the just clips the header and edge of fenders going down at a 30/45/60/??? degree angLe then have the same shape hitting just the wheelwell back to the corner of the car again slanting same angle.

The kind of jobs you used to see on lifted trucks or custom cars 25-35 years ago.... and leave the rest of the old paint alone

Reactions: 1 user

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
It'd look retro, and maybe good/maybe not, BUT.....

You could do some type of a patterned paint ala 1980s early 90s...

You know things like repaint just the header and wrap two wings/lines of paint 2-3" tall going down the side of the car, then repaint under that line on the sides.

Or you could do angled paint the just clips the header and edge of fenders going down at a 30/45/60/??? degree angLe then have the same shape hitting just the wheelwell back to the corner of the car again slanting same angle.

The kind of jobs you used to see on lifted trucks or custom cars 25-35 years ago.... and leave the rest of the old paint alone

What you are suggesting is a real good idea. I had been thinking of how to have it repainted to address the affected areas...I'm not very artistic when it comes to these things.

oranGekrate

Greasemonkey
Oct 25, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Another reason I hate my wheels lol. Feral cats rule the neighborhood. They piss all over all my cars rims. The aluminum doesn't do well in a piss environment. I just spent the better part of a day just removing my cat piss calcified center caps from the rims. What a pain. Got them off, wire wheeled the calcified pee off.
Had time to think about a logical direction...None of all the issues I posted would be such a big deal if I wasn't in the process of doing a headgasket job on my daily commuter car. I have the car at my mechanics shop now. It's costing me some serious cash for that job. That's why cash is a problem right now.
Anyhow, I have black plasti-dip I could do the rims in. Maybe leave a polished lip, or just the center caps, whatever. I think I could live with the rims.

I think right now would be the time to do stock Moog springs all around, control arm bushings and ball joints. I even have new stock size KYB shocks for it that I forgot I had. Then hope the tires hold for a while. It would be a high rider compared to the way it sits now, but it would be so much better off. Paint repair would have to be put on the back burner for sure.

I put all the bracing bar stuff on I got from timo. Just driving down my driveway I could tell the difference. Drove it around the block. It is definitely tighter in the frontend. Less rattles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor