.50 taller ball joints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hutch949

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2016
Working on the 79 monte again.Still need the front a little lower.If I do the 1/2 taller ball joint on the lower ,does that mean I have to do the tallerball joint on the top?I have talked to a couple of shops and they have not heard of this.Will there be any problems getting a new front end alignment? What brand ball joint do you recommend and where should I purchase them? Thanks Hutch949

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Lower only will be fine. Proforged from Summit are $50 each with free shipping. No alignment issues and camber and toe will be easier to set and keep their settings because they will be more stable through the suspension travel.

Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
On average, how much does it change the camber? For better or worse?

With stock ball joints, when the wheels droop, they go negative about 3 degrees and when they go up, they go positive about 1 degree. This a a 4 degree swing in the opposite direction of ideal.

Ideal would be zero to slightly positive camber droop and negative camber when they go up.

Taller ball joints will turn the bad 4 degree swing into about a good 2-3 degree swing, so if they are zero at rest, they will go to about 1 positive at full droop and around 1 negative full up. How much it changes depends on the ride height and static camber, but the camber swing is definitely smaller AND better with tall ball joints.

If I had a G-body that could pull the front wheels, I would definitely put tall ball joints on it.

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
With stock ball joints, when the wheels droop, they go negative about 3 degrees and when they go up, they go positive about 1 degree. This a a 4 degree swing in the opposite direction of ideal.

Ideal would be zero to slightly positive camber droop and negative camber when they go up.

Taller ball joints will turn the bad 4 degree swing into about a good 2-3 degree swing, so if they are zero at rest, they will go to about 1 positive at full droop and around 1 negative full up. How much it changes depends on the ride height and static camber, but the camber swing is definitely smaller AND better with tall ball joints.

If I had a G-body that could pull the front wheels, I would definitely put tall ball joints on it.

THIS is the kind of post I'd like to see more of....rather than just "you should do/use this", there is solid info to back it up.

Many thanks to you, UNGN!

• Agree
Reactions: 13 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
here you go, rockauto.com

High Performance
collapseh.gif

PROFORGED 10110048 {#88911524} Tall Lower Ball Joint; Greasable; Black E-Coated Finish Info
Front Lower; 0.50" Taller version for added dynamic negative camber.; 0.50" Extended Length Stud For Improved Performance; May Reduce Suspension Travel - Check For Binding After Installation; Requires Use Of Upper Ball Joint Part Number 101-10020

prevIMGbig.png

849180006415.MAIN__ra_t.jpg

nextIMGbig.png

$42.79
Add to Cart
right_arrow_white.png

PROFORGED 10110020 Tall Upper Ball Joint; Greasable; Black E-Coated Finish Info
Front Upper; 0.50" Taller version for added dynamic negative camber.; 0.50" Extended Length Stud For Improved Performance; Installation Of Lower Ball Joint Part Number 101-10048 is Highly Recommended; May Reduce Suspension Travel - Check For Binding After Installation

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
UNGN ,
Let’s say you go with only the tall lowers. Are there any other changes you need to make. Tie rod connection, sway bar , dust shields? For just a street driven car, if a guy needs upper and lowers, does it make sense to just get tall lowers and stock uppers? Or just get tall for both? Once again, any changes need to be made or just an alignment? Thanks in advance for sharing you’re knowledge...timo22

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Tall lowers should fit with any wheel, but The Brake Dust Shield and the Lip of the LCA way need a little work with a $10 Harbor freight 4" cutoff wheel, to avoid hitting the arm/brake rotor.

Tall uppers can lead to a little more interference with wider (like 8"), smaller diameter wheels, but 17" larger wheels are fine. It many comes into play when turning. The Wheels can get close to the arms. 7" wheels or narrower are usually fine.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor