Comps Cam 306S $145.00
Comps Cam lifters $100.00
Valve springs $90.00
Cam bearings and freeze plugs $30.00
Oil pump $40.00
Heads $300.00
Vic Jr $100.00
Harlin Sharp rockers $125.00

The engine has 550 HP 450 to the wheels - NOW I know the LS is a much more capable engine no argument (not for pennies) - but the old lilbowtie has merit

Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
350 short block @ a swap meet $100.00
Re ring kit (Northern Auto) $100.00
Comps Cam 306S $145.00
Comps Cam lifters $100.00
Valve springs $90.00
Cam bearings and freeze plugs $30.00
Oil pump $40.00
Heads $300.00
Vic Jr $100.00
Harlin Sharp rockers $125.00

The engine has 550 HP 450 to the wheels - NOW I know the LS is a much more capable engine no argument (not for pennies) - but the old lilbowtie has merit

Good points, I won’t disagree at all. It can be done. Either path will payoff in the end. I believe the swap itself would even out the end cost, but either can do it. Depends on the level of involvement a person wants to undertake.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Cam bearings seem to be a common problem on high mileage LS engines. Even our 45k 6 liter had issues. Not having a proven tune loaded for initial start and road test can be expensive and cause the issues noted.

I read that s partial reason for this is that most LS engines use cheap rolled cam bearings which are more failure prone. Even LSX blocks come with cheap rolled cam bearings, and many builders replace them with one piece bearings.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I read that s partial reason for this is that most LS engines use cheap rolled cam bearings which are more failure prone. Even LSX blocks come with cheap rolled cam bearings, and many builders replace them with one piece bearings.

When you take a used one apart the bottom of the cam bearings are multicolored/worn out from dry starts with the weight of the valve train pushing the cam into them. The top of the bearings feel like 80 grit sandpaper.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Everyone is overlooking the fact that to take that much HP, regardless of what engine is used will require reinforcing the frame and body. G bodies can only safely handle up to 400 HP with factory bracing. More than that and you ard looking at boxing the frame, welding LCA mount gussets, bigger rear axle, etc. This is considering the op's car is in good shape and not a rust bucket.

Also, not sure about other areas, but around me, the junkyards just pull and scrap LS engines or sell them piece meal style. Plus there is the cost of learning an entire new family of engines that have nothing in common with classic gen motors in addition to buying adaptors, brackets, wiring and programing the PCM, and custom built parts like exhaust and driveshaft. Plus the only street legal LS swap for old carx is the Erod crate engine package, as normal LX emission systems do not work in G bodies. There are plenty of SBCs that last to 300k. It is pretty easy to make 400 hp with a SBC and vortec heads. 880 blocks are the best factory SBC blocks. LS engines are good, but you need to be an electronics wizz and a computer nerd to play with them.
Was just about to write about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor