550 Dollar Big Block Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

81Cutlass455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2018
Hey guys. I am the new owner of a 1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. It has a 455 from a 75 toronado, with K heads. I paid 550 dollars for the car with an additional 455 motor. I had to put a fuel pump, alternator, belt, battery, and battery terminals on the car. I routed the fuel to a remote gas tank in the engine compartment for now. I have had the car 2 weeks now and finally had some time to work on it. I got the car running tonight. The dang thing runs great. It even idles beautifully. This thing has been sitting since 2005!!!! Anyway heres a couple pics of the thing. I'll see if it will let me post videos. If not I'll make a youtube video of the project and link it here.
Message_1532291585849 (1).jpg
Message_1532291531881 (1).jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 11 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Now that's a deal!! Congrats. I can some tire roasting in your future :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81Cutlass455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2018

Here is a link to the youtube video guys. Its kinda crappy but I figured some people would enjoy seeing it.

Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I like the price and power train and K heads instead of J heads, awesome.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

81Cutlass455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2018
I like the price and power train and K heads instead of J heads, awesome.

The K heads were a nice surprise. They have hardened valve seats and flow pretty close to the C heads. Should be a great little setup for pump gas. The j heads did come with the car also. I would've preferred to just leave them there but it was one of those deals where I had to take everything to get the good deal price.

81Cutlass455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2018
great deal, right place at the right time....:)

Most definitely. It was a pretty obscure ad on Craigslist. Not much details and had to play a little phone tag. The guys son placed the ad for his dad. The dad doesn't do any kind of technology, only phone calls. He was just ready to get his backyard back and give up the hotrodding.

Reactions: 1 users

81Cutlass455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 30, 2018
Well I had a little bit of time to work on the beast after work yesterday. The old guy who parked it said there was an oil pressure issue and something about the oil dipstick. Well there is no dipstick... So I ordered one and attempted to install it.

I got as far as jacking the car up and crawling up and over the car about fifteen times lol. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to take the exhaust manifold off to install it. I'll probably work on it a bit more after work today.

With 3 classic cars currently, and having owned 20 or so, I've learned that you have to take your time on them to get it done right and not burn out or break something.
Anyway, just a little update. I'll probably film a bit more and continue posting videos of my progress. I like to go back and see what I've done on the projects, so maybe some of you out there will also.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Is it a chrome dipstick tube? I find the end is too long that goes in the block is too long. I grind it down but the flared that seats in the block sits loosely in the block. I believe that it does fit between the manifold and block. If you want a tight fitting dipstick, the ones Supercars Unlimited sell fit very tight. Throw a gauge on it, the 455's quite often get over revved and that causes bottom end damage, which could be the low oil pressure issue. Tell us what it has for oil pressure, something like 10W40 or 20W50 might limp it along, depending how bad it is.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor