5660 Springs 9/25/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Here's the whole system:
I was just offering up the springs due to them using the drop spindles, like you already have. As far as drop, I'm not sure. They have a photo with a Monte Carlo SS measurements to the fender lip, but that doesn't help much unless you have a MCSS. A better measurement and more universal would be to the frame rail behind the front tire, and in front of the rear tire. Mine currently=Frame rail height behind front wheel= 6 1/4", forward of rear wheel =7". The taller ball joints help with the camber curve and make the top of the wheel tip in under compression, instead of out towards the wheel well liner.
What are the specs of your wheels and rubber ?

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
79 Cutlass Supreme, 305-4brl, 17"x 8"& 17"x 9" American Racing VN501 wheels, Toyo Extensa HP II 225/50-17 & 255/45-17 tires, 1-1/4"&7/8" stabilizer bars, Hedman 68608 mid length headers, 2 1/2" Pypes x-pipe w/street pro mufflers, Moog 5660's -1/2 coil in front, Moog 5401 rear springs, Ridetech HQ series shocks,-
Right at the bottom of my posts :)

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
235/60-15.
I hate to say this but Ive got 235/70s on the back on a 7" rally with 4.25 BS and I can barely fit my fingers between the tire and the frame. The 235/60 has a wider thread. How can I fit those on the front ? Your Cutlass have a larger wheel well ? I was thinking I'd need a 40 or 45 series tire. Maybe a 225.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I hate to say this but Ive got 235/70s on the back on a 7" rally with 4.25 BS and I can barely fit my fingers between the tire and the frame. The 235/60 has a wider thread. How can I fit those on the front ? Your Cutlass have a larger wheel well ? I was thinking I'd need a 40 or 45 series tire. Maybe a 225.
235/70-15 = 28" OD tire. Taller OD tires will find the limits of space faster than shorter tires will given the same width.

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well, its been over a month and my cars still sitting on jackstands in my garage. My own doing. I wound up having my lower control arm sandblasted due to the way the SEM Hot Rod black dried. Two coats of primer, two coats of paint. Too many coats and a pain to sand. Blasting was so much easier. I also pressed in a new Moog ball joint. Now its hanging on my rack right next to the coil spring while Im still waiting for the free quart of paint coming from SEM. I dont think the customer service guy is screwing me. He said they were making a fresh batch and it would be shipped soon. We'll see.

This front suspension/spring/tire and wheel size issue is still going to hold me up. Lots of answers on this forum. Tons of info. To be honest, its lack of experience on my part. Theres a lot that I can do on my own as you can see when you look at both of my projects but this spring crap has held me up.
The spindles, the different springs. Im not dumb but I really dont understand how this comes together.
This picture was taken last month. Its how my car is sitting right now with 2" dropped spindles and 15.50" tall springs that might be factory. Its up a little in the front but Im thinking it might drop a little once things settle. It was pretty low before I took everything apart. The tires are 205 60 15s. Theyre 24.6" tall.

Many suggestions for the Moog 5660 springs. I think theyre 13.25" tall. Thats 2" shorter than the springs in the car now. If the stock spindles are going back in wont that basically put me at the same ride height that it is with the stock springs and the 2" dropped spindles ? Wont I be in the same situation that Im in now ? And if I switched to taller ball joints wont it be even lower ?

This whole thing is holding me up and basically its just because I want to run a nicer set of tires and rims. SMH

Im running out of things to do. Yesterday I cut out the Ozite for the cargo area. This morning I got a call from New England Chrome Plating. The back glass handle is done and being shipped today. It might be here tomorrow or Friday. Im so close to being on the road. I want/need this car to be finished. At this point I cant even move it because I took the left spring, spindle and control arm down. This is VERY frustrating.

View attachment 182901
The springs you took out are taller but are softer. They have to be compressed quite a bit just to install but after install, when you set the front wheels on the ground, the car will come down.

You don't hardly have to compress the 5660's to install them but they are much stiffer. The front won't come down much when you set the car down. You're going to be in the ballpark of stock ride height with the 5660's with a much stiffer spring and a lot less boaty ride quality.

Setting ride height with coil springs is an inexact process. You have to be willing to to trim them or replace them to get the car exactly where you want it when you aren't running a completely stock setup. You might be happier with coilovers.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
The springs you took out are taller but are softer. They have to be compressed quite a bit just to install but after install, when you set the front wheels on the ground, the car will come down.

You don't hardly have to compress the 5660's to install them but they are much stiffer. The front won't come down much when you set the car down. You're going to be in the ballpark of stock ride height with the 5660's with a much stiffer spring and a lot less boaty ride quality.

Setting ride height with coil springs is an inexact process. You have to be willing to to trim them or replace them to get the car exactly where you want it when you aren't running a completely stock setup. You might be happier with coilovers.
Sure have to go through a lot of crap just to put nice rubber on the car. SMH LOL

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Sure have to go through a lot of crap just to put nice rubber on the car. SMH LOL
You have 235/70-15's on 15x7's in the rear & you want a front tire that compliments that size & works for your 15x6" front wheel?

205/65-15.
At 25.5" tall, they're an extra inch in height vs. your 205/60's w/o getting too tall. The 235/60 on a 6" wide wheel would look funky to me (too pinched for the width) & be 26" tall.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
You have 235/70-15's on 15x7's in the rear & you want a front tire that compliments that size & works for your 15x6" front wheel?

205/65-15.
At 25.5" tall, they're an extra inch in height vs. your 205/60's w/o getting too tall. The 235/60 on a 6" wide wheel would look funky to me (too pinched for the width) & be 26" tall.
Check a few pages back. I want to put a set of AR Torque Thrusts or some other 5 spoke with a nice set of low profile tires. Something a bit wider but wont hit the inner fender.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Check a few pages back. I want to put a set of AR Torque Thrusts or some other 5 spoke with a nice set of low profile tires. Something a bit wider but wont hit the inner fender.
I went back through the thread & still did not see any mention of new/different wheel sizes.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Mikester- Dude I'm checking out, you're on your own. People have given you options, measurements, pictures , graphs, real world experience and you're still unsure. Sometimes you just have to rip that band aid off and deal with the blood or scar. Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor