5660 Springs 9/25/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
FYI.... A 245/45-17 = ~25.7" tall.
Last night I spent some time looking at cars on google and bing images. I found this ad for that wagon in the photo.

Between the info from that wagon and Kamloops cutlass above I think a 235/45 17 or 245/45 might look right on the front with 245/45 or 255/45 on the back. One of my friends recently took his Pontiac to a shop that does custom installs from stereos, tints and wheels. They actually tried a few different combos on his car before they found the right fit. I guess I'll try them. Maybe the wheels are tires might be a little more $$ in the end but at least I wont be stuck with stuff that wont fit. The 5660 springs should be here before the end of the week. As soon as theyre in the car goes to an alignment shop, an exhaust shop and its pretty much finished.
Then the 406 comes out of the 81 to get the oil leak fixed. After I can see how the new springs fit in the wagon I might order the same ones for the coupe. I used Hotchkis lowering springs for the back but never did the front. It sits up a little high. I guess another option would be using the dropped spindles that I just pulled out of the wagon. So tired of working on these cars. I want to be driving them.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Last night I spent some time looking at cars on google and bing images. I found this ad for that wagon in the photo.

Between the info from that wagon and Kamloops cutlass above I think a 235/45 17 or 245/45 might look right on the front with 245/45 or 255/45 on the back. One of my friends recently took his Pontiac to a shop that does custom installs from stereos, tints and wheels. They actually tried a few different combos on his car before they found the right fit. I guess I'll try them. Maybe the wheels are tires might be a little more $$ in the end but at least I wont be stuck with stuff that wont fit. The 5660 springs should be here before the end of the week. As soon as theyre in the car goes to an alignment shop, an exhaust shop and its pretty much finished.
Then the 406 comes out of the 81 to get the oil leak fixed. After I can see how the new springs fit in the wagon I might order the same ones for the coupe. I used Hotchkis lowering springs for the back but never did the front. It sits up a little high. I guess another option would be using the dropped spindles that I just pulled out of the wagon. So tired of working on these cars. I want to be driving them.
I like my tire sidewall/widths to be as close to each other as possible when running different sizes front & rear.

If you want a 255 on the rear just do the math to get an idea for a consistant match.
255/8 = 31.875.
31.875 x 7 = 223.125 or a 225mm tire. More section width of the tire changes the sidewall appearance. A 235 would be close enough to your target.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I finally got back out to the garage to work on my car yesterday. I feel like a credit card commercial.
New Moog 5660 springs just under $75 shipped
New Moog lower ball joint $18
Used OEM spindles $100
Sandblasting lower control arm $20 ?
Putting it all back together and having it almost the exact same height as before I took it all apart... priceless.
The car sits about a 1/2" higher. LOL

Lots of work for nothing. I still have the lower in epoxy primer. Kinda glad since it got scraped up pretty bad this time (still dont know why) compared to the first time putting it together. Dont know what Im going to try next.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Coilovers and your issue is solved forever. I went thru this for a long time. I can change my ride height in a couple of minutes with just a spanner wrench. Plus it rides better than with cut springs. Running 275/35/18 on all four corners without ANY rubbing whatsoever.

20210829_140310.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Coilovers and your issue is solved forever. I went thru this for a long time. I can change my ride height in a couple of minutes with just a spanner wrench. Plus it rides better than with cut springs. Running 275/35/18 on all four corners without ANY rubbing whatsoever.

View attachment 184438
Please include the dimension from the ground @ the center of the wheel to the fender lip (front & rear) to help him compare where his is vs. yours.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
24.75" must have settled, used to be just over 25"

20210926_134919.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Is it possible you did not have dropped spindles before ?
Maybe you just thought you did ?
Your ride height is close to mine that is bone stock

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Is it possible you did not have dropped spindles before ?
Maybe you just thought you did ?
Your ride height is close to mine that is bone stock
No, theyre definitely 2' dropped. You can see the difference right away compared to the OEM set from the Regal. If I used them with the new springs the nose would be real low. At that point I have no idea what I'd do for tires and wheels.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
A lot of us end up trimming half a coil off the spring.
I might put the original setup back in. The dropped spindles along with the taller springs that were in the car when I got it. Especially if its the same.
The front of my 81 coupe if kinda high. I used Hotchkis rear springs to lower the rear but I never changed out the fronts. The bottom of the fender lip is almost 28" from the floor on the 81. A drop will help.
I was going to pull the front tires off the coupe and put them on the wagon today to see how they fit to the inner fender but I wound up power washing my house instead. Tomorrow is another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor