59 GMC Short Box Wide Side

Status
Not open for further replies.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I've been meaning to post this up for awhile now but just couldn't find the time....crappy weekend weather wise so thought this would be the time.

Back in about 1982, about when I first met my now wife, her father had a 59 GMC that he had done a bunch of work to years before, but at the time I came into the picture he was looking to sell. I was young and thought it looked cool and said what the heck...I'll buy it.

This is what the truck looked like after getting it home and finding some chrome wheels for it...(picture of a picture of course...

59 GMC rear side.JPG

The body was starting to go again so not wanting it to get to far, with the help of an uncle who was/still is an awesome body guy we did her up and I had it repainted in the same colors. I had full intentions for going through the rest of the truck but other projects came along and the old 59 seemed to sit.

In 1986 my by now father in law had purchased an acreage just out of the city and after we got a house, shop and storage building built, needed a truck for this and that. As the 59 was just sitting I decided to sell it back to him on the condition that when he was ready to sell I had first shot at it. Well about 3 years ago that time came, father in law was selling the acreage and decided it was time to sell. We talked and I decided that I didn't have the time or space to go through it the way it deserved. Now my brother in law had driven this truck to high school and was obliviously next in line for the truck.

He had a child hood friend that he stayed in touch with that offered to take on the restoration just for the fact of them being good friends for all these years and that the truck was lucky enough to stay in the family for all these years. This fellow had done a couple or three cars prior so it seemed like a no brainier to have him do it. The brother in law footed the bill for all parts/supplies etc and came out (he's in Calgary AB) more than a few times to help out.

Well In July we attend the unveiling of the truck. For the most part it's pretty much based on the original theme...with a few subtle changes, truck was original an Omaha Orange but this more of a Hugger Orange. It's equipped with a 235 six cylinder with modified exhaust manifold for dual exhaust and running a 3 speed standard. Rear end is from a mid 80's 12 bolt truck with a 3:08 gear for drive ability (original rear was 3:90). Truck is all new from top to bottom and I think it turned out great. It was a pretty emotional gathering and I'm glad to finally see it done up right.

Now on to some pics....lots of activity at the time so there's a few people in the pics..

20180728_131306.jpg

20180728_131319.jpg

20180728_131333.jpg

This is my brother in law and proud owner of the truck.

20180728_131351.jpg

The fellow that restored the truck in the white shirt and hat.

20180728_131435.jpg

20180728_131402.jpg

20180728_131453.jpg

Well there it is! Hope you guys enjoy/enjoyed the thread... the truck made the trip back from Regina to Calgary without a hitch and is proudly being driven there.

Thanks for looking in!!

• Winner
Reactions: 14 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That's a beautiful truck Kevin. Thanks for posting it.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Looks great! I love these kind of stories.

My oldest daughter's boyfriend's (pretty sure he's future son-in-law) father has a '53 F100 that HIS grandfather bought new. I was pretty excited about it until I found out the family history...kinda figure I won't be owning it anytime what with it being in the family for 4 generations

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Absolutely beautiful (in a GMC sort of way). I've always had a soft spot for 58/59s. Glad it got to stay in the family.

We have a few "family cars" as well. No telling what'll happen once my brother and I are gone. My nephew is about to inherit a '68 California Special that his great grandmother bought new.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you for sharing that great story and pics, Kevin.. I really enjoy stories like that.
The truck turned out absolutely beautiful. I'm glad to see that it remained in the family all those years and wasn't wrecked or bastardized.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I just noticed the column shift. Classy.

Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Thanks everyone!

I knew that there were alot of pictures being taken that day...and I almost forgot about one my daughter took...

My wife and I just as we were about to take it for a spin....

IMG_0726.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I just noticed the column shift. Classy.

Yeah it's the old "3 on the tree". I had bought from a wrecker years ago a 58 Chevy long box that had the automatic trans in it, parted it out....kept the trans for a few years and ended up selling it. Brother in law thought it would have been cool to still have had it.

This truck was actually pretty heavily optioned for 59....stainless cab and bed trim, both LH and RH key locks in the door handles, L&R side mirrors, RH sunvisor, chrome trimmed dash and knobs/switches, deluxe heater. It also had the Radio with overhead speaker. Fabric trimmed interior.

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
This truck was actually pretty heavily optioned for 59....stainless cab and bed trim, both LH and RH key locks in the door handles, L&R side mirrors, RH sunvisor, chrome trimmed dash and knobs/switches, deluxe heater. It also had the Radio with overhead speaker. Fabric trimmed interior.
Back when that was a loaded truck. They way they should still be like. (y)

Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I love driving the old six with the three on the tree! Lots of fun, until it gets stuck in gear. Looks like a well done job. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor