5th gen v6 camaro wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
That's all I've heard. I'm guessing it's not a good swap, since it is pretty rare. I'd like to switch to 17's myself, but there doesn't seem to be options when looking at factory wheels.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I've been chasing this one for a while. I picked up a set and some tires from Craigslist. What I figured out is that the 5th gen uses a 5x120mm bolt pattern and M14 lugs. That's really close to the Gbody 5x4.75" pattern, but using even acorn lug nuts does not leave a lot of shoulder holding the wheels on the car. What I found from another Forum member is that a couple vendors on EBay sell the 5x4.75 to 5x120 adapters. I've seen 1.25, 1.5 and 2 inch thickness. I went with 2 pairs of 2" from this vendor for $150: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=191084806577

I was not aware they 5th gens used 17" rims. Mine are 18". I went this way to get space for big brakes, down the road. I used a 235-45-18 which is pretty close to the 26" G-body diameter

Attachments

• IMG_5465.JPG
    IMG_5465.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 3,326
  • IMG_5464.JPG
    IMG_5464.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 1,091
  • IMG_5459.JPG
    IMG_5459.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 965
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I've been chasing this one for a while. I picked up a set and some tires from Craigslist. What I figured out is that the 5th gen uses a 5x120mm bolt pattern and M14 lugs. That's really close to the Gbody 5x4.75" pattern, but using even acorn lug nuts does not leave a lot of shoulder holding the wheels on the car. What I found from another Forum member is that a couple vendors on EBay sell the 5x4.75 to 5x120 adapters. I've seen 1.25, 1.5 and 2 inch thickness. I went with 2 pairs of 2" from this vendor for $150: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=191084806577

I was not aware they 5th gens used 17" rims. Mine are 18". I went this way to get space for big brakes, down the road. I used a 235-45-18 which is pretty close to the 26" G-body diameter

I like that you are concerned with the slight difference in the wheel bolt patterns. I have seen too many who think that little difference does not affect the safety of using an improper wheel.

here are the results I found online of using a BMW wheel which is a 5x120mm bolt pattern on a 5x4.75 studs

"So I did a little FEA simulation to see what kind of difference this is going to make. This analysis only shows what the stud is undergoing after the lug nut is torqued. This does not show us:
1. “Twisting” stress from torque applied to the stud;
2. Stress from driving the vehicle;
3. Fatigue over time.

Please note these three situations will make the results worse. Here we go:

c6stud4_75inbp.jpg

Here is the stud using a 4.75" BP wheel. Note the stress concentrations at the chamfer resulting from 10,000+lbs of tension. These results are typical.

c6stud4_72inbp-vi.jpg

Here is the same stud using a BMW wheel. Note the larger stress concentrations resulting from bending stress, and the stress continues all the way up the shank. This photo shows the stud being bent away from us; the other side is in compression and results in a stress concentration higher up the press-in shank (about where the threads start). Stress has increased by a little over 20%. That's a significant increase. Again, accounting for fatigue and torque-related stress will further reduce the stud's service life.

I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade about using BMW wheels, but I feel this is something people should know when making a decision on which wheel to use"

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
Great info, pontiacgp & ssn696. You are the first people I've seen actually say that there is a difference! It's also good to know those wheels can be used with the right adapters, as they do pop on craigslist quite a bit.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
with all the wheels out there that fit the 4.75 bolt pattern and the BS you neeed why use wheels that need a spacers or adapters

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
I honestly don't see a lot of options, especially when it comes to factory made wheels, in the 4.75 when comparing them to the 4.5". Beyond the Torque Thrust II's, and a few others like the Circle D and high end options, the market is mostly off-brand questionable quality Chinese knock offs. Factory wheels are a nice option because they are usually found cheaper than aftermarket wheels, and they are great quality.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I got lucky and picked up the aluminum ones for just a bit more than sellers were asking for the steelies. I figured that if I didn't like them, I'd have an easier time moving them on. I keep seeing the aluminum ones on Craigslist locally for about $600 with Camaro rubber. Too big for the Malibu, and they sellers did not want to part with just the rims. When I found just the rims, the sellers had already sold the trim rings or caps, or boogered them on a curb.

Ironically, the aluminum rims are marked 'made in China'...maybe the steelies are US- or Canadian-made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor