6.0 not quite running right

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2020
I have 1979 Malibu wagon with a 6.0, cam, Holley carb, headers, etc. I was expecting it to rev past 7000rpm without issue, but it struggles to get to 6500. Best 1/4 to date is 14.38 at 111.4. Something is holding it back. Where to start?

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
The problem is is not accelerating. 111 mph shows the engine can get into the low 12’s. The rest of the car can’t handle it.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
They were on the engine when I bought it
You probably already know this but the valve springs should always be matched to the cam specs. If not you will get valve float and will not build power at higher RPMs. You need to figure out what cam you have and what springs are in it

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

LSwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2020
So, you have the O2 bungs plugged and no gauge. As bracketchev1221 points out, unless it's a typo, 111 mph is rolling, so you're not hooking or something. That should be solid low 12s- high 11s
Thanks. I don't have O2 bungs or gauge. Plugs look ok and gray colored. The plugs that I'm using are for a 1974 pickup which is what the guy I bought it from said the engine was originally built from.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor