600 hp lq9

Status
Not open for further replies.

monte51087

Apprentice
Oct 10, 2007
hey everone i just got a lq9. i was thinking of swapping my lt1 out for it. i was wondering how hard would it be to make 600 hp out of it on a budget. any help would great thanks

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
600hp NA engine on a budget isn't going to happen. You can make that much power easily but it's not cheap. Is it a race car or a street car I guess is the first question

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
You could put it this way---Im at around the $3k mark with my 496 build and I still have a few small things to get but still will end up (hopefully) with 500-550hp. The LQ9 might be easier to get power from but the parts are more expensive. If you are on a budget you need to lower your goal there.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Turbo, it would be easy. Its come to the point where almost anybody can put on a turbo onto a LS and make great power with stock stuff. It might not last depending on the state of everything but it should only take 10PSI to get to 600.

NA would be harder. The build I know pretty well is an LS3 with a big EPS cam running E85 and 14:1 compression with heavily ported heads Edelbrock Victor Sr carb style throttle body. 650 is the goal I think but 550-600 is for sure. Its a $3500 motor though, its built to last.

Building the rest of the car to handle 600hp isnt going to be cheap. Its going to take a built trans, good rear, fuel system, ect.

monte51087

Apprentice
Oct 10, 2007
it going to be just a street car and once in a while track , i was thinking some heads, cam, intake , and a good tune and maybe go from there to see what i can get out of it, the motor was really cheap so i was going to use the money build it a little

monte51087

Apprentice
Oct 10, 2007
i was reading and im confused . can i run the Escalade pan or do i have to run a different pan? and can i run the escalade waterpump,alt,ps, or do they have to be f body?? or what combo can i run ?? any help would be great

chris1980

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2012
A stroker is always an option. That's my plan 408ci here I come. It's cheepish depending on your budget but it should get you in the 500 range and if you can spend the extra cash to beef up the bottom end while your at it then a junkyard turbo off of just about any diesel should land you 600+. But again I wouldn't call it cheep but its not ridiculous. It really depends on how much work you can do yourself.

Reactions: 1 user

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
5.3 truck motor with: ls6 cam, ls1 heads to lower the compression in it, arp head stud kit, and a good size turbo, will get you in the 600 HP range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor