HELP 600 hp lq9

Status
Not open for further replies.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
I'll add.... A 2wd 4L80e for $400?? In my area they're $650 up for unknown condition.
That's the going rate in my area.....bought one a few years back for $250....but that was more or less a case of being in the right place at the right time.

Reactions: 1 user

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
While I respect your opinion you left a lot of parts out of that to go turbo and put some very low numbers in there imho. There is no plumbing for the turbo, exhaust, trunion upgrade, lifters, gaskets, rings, etc. If we could all build 600rwhp for that number it wouldn't make sense to build anything else. Better have fresh trans with it as well. I have built a few LS motors and see the junk yard “one pass wonders” at the track frequently. They run hard……a couple of times….. if something else don’t break first.

Many of those items you listed were left out because they are not necessary for a budget build. Many turbo builds have been valve springs and cam replaced with everything else untouched.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Sorry btravis77 didn’t mean to jack your thread.😬
Dude hasn't been back in so not like you're stepping on any toes lmao.

Lots of good info here posted tho.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
Many of those items you listed were left out because they are not necessary for a budget build. Many turbo builds have been valve springs and cam replaced with everything else untouched.
Turbo plumbing is pretty expensive even on the cheap and you need an exhaust system built for it too. 600rwhp will tear up a transmission (and a rear end) and minimal trans parts only (clutch pack, seals, etc) are gonna run 6-700 for something decent and then you have to build it. Everyone has their opinion and mine is putting a turbo on a totally stock motor of unknown condition is building a grenade, time bomb or something you can’t drive anywhere. If you wanna go to the track just to see what it will do (assuming it stays together long enough to get dialed or before something else breaks) I see those guys out there having big fun doing that. There is small group that lives to run a 10 second quarter on a junk yard motor. When it blows up they just pull everything off and bolt it on the next one.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Turbo plumbing is pretty expensive even on the cheap and you need an exhaust system built for it too. 600rwhp will tear up a transmission (and a rear end) and minimal trans parts only (clutch pack, seals, etc) are gonna run 6-700 for something decent and then you have to build it. Everyone has their opinion and mine is putting a turbo on a totally stock motor of unknown condition is building a grenade, time bomb or something you can’t drive anywhere. If you wanna go to the track just to see what it will do (assuming it stays together long enough to get dialed or before something else breaks) I see those guys out there having big fun doing that. There is small group that lives to run a 10 second quarter on a junk yard motor. When it blows up they just pull everything off and bolt it on the next one.
If a guy wants to run with that program, then you can't be scared to yank the motor/heads/trans at a moments notice. The joy of the LS - cheap and plentiful as long you avoid the 6.0/6.2's. And FWIW, they are NOT grenades or time bombs at the track. They are usually more of a grenade in the driveway. If it'll run for an hour, then it's usually good to go.

p.s. - some of us want to go faster than 10 seconds ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
p.s. - some of us want to go faster than 10 seconds ;)
Excited Ric Flair GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Hot side and Cold side can be done on a budget.

A stock 4l80e with Transgo HD2 shift kit will hold up to 600 whp.

Bottom line is......if you start with a gen 4 4.8/5.3/6.0 in good shape......and your tune is safe.....5-600 reliable whp is possible. It's not a matter of opinion......it's been proven many times over.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor