601 heads vs 193 tbi heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Ok so I'm goin to pull the motor in my Monte this winter so I can paint the firewall and clean it up some under the hood. My motor is just a stock l98 350 motor with the 4 valve relief pistons in it and the heads on it now are the 193 tbi heads, the car runs good and I can beat my buddies 88 iroc camaro with it,
But anyways while I have the motor out I want to port to heads so it will help flow, but then I remembered I have some 601 heads off my old camaro, I'm trying to decide which ones I should port and polish and use, I've talked to some guys and they are telling me to go with the 601 305 heads, it will raise my compression alittle and if I gasket match them when porting them it will help and out flow the tbi heads, does anyone think I shouldn't use the 601 heads?

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I forgot to add that my cam should be
In/Exh [email protected]" 207'/213' Lift (w/1.5) .415"/.430" LobSep 117'

I'm wanting to put some 1.6 roller rockers on the 601 heads, I thing they can handle them

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
The TBI heads flow terrible, they run out of steam around 4500rpm. They have excellent torque production down around 2000RPM but no high RPM (like 4500+) flow. They have a lot of swirl and will give you good fuel economy but terrible performance. 193 castings had 64cc chambers IIRC.

The 601s have small valves and very shrouded combustion chambers. Will likely raise your compression a bit. I dont know much about these heads to be honest.

So honestly I'm not sure if it will matter, you might not see an increase considering valve shrouding and small valves. For the time and energy it would take to swap the heads, I wouldn't bother. You may not even see any performance increase.

Why not go to a junkyard and buy a set of vortec heads and manifold for 200 bucks? You'll see MUCH more horsepower, for a relatively small investment. 200 bucks for core, plus 100 bucks for the gaskets and hardware and you'll be pushing 300HP or more at the crank with your stock cam.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
305 heads are not a good option for a 350. yes they raise compression, but the valves are small and restricted. so flow sucks!
i agree with the vortecs.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Ok thanks guys, I just wanted some other opinions to help me decide alittle

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
yeah 305 heads on a 350...no good.

man have you considered searching your local classifieds? Like kijiji or craigslist? There are often people buying/selling heads there and you could get a good deal. to be real though, it won't be hard to find heads better than your 193's. The 601 heads though, not a good choice. Buy heads for a 350 to put on your 350.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tech- ... -made.html

Both heads will get you in the same territory of 280-300ish fly wheel horsepower with some work and other things, they'd be a decent performer heads, no need for vortecs unless you want a lot more power. 305 heads would be okay heads, with a bigger intake valve and porting. I mean you won't get a lot of power, but if you do it yourself (which isn't hard) than you'll be golden. I spent 150 on my vortecs for the valve covers and rocker arms (craigslist find) than I put another 300 for the springs and got the manifold for free (grandfather) It's a very fun ride, but before this ride I had a 305 headed 350 with a 220ish duration cam and it was very fun, it just had the stock ports and valves. It died off at 5000 but I never really went past 3000 rpm, it had a lot of torque for what it was ran well and was happy with it.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
Yeah I suppose if you were willing to do some porting then you'd be better off with the 193s, though. They respond well to porting (since they are terrible casting stock). There are links online re: porting the 193s.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Yea I've been reading online and I'm pretty sure I'm going to just stick with the 193 head for now, since I know how them heads run with that motor ,I just figure that porting them would help just that much more with some 1.6 rockers

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Choose wisely with the rocker arms, todays cams have extreme valve closing events on them already. In other words, they are already harsh, and with the 1.6 rocker arms it just makes it even worse (more chance of a cam failure especially with the XE cam line), I would just pick a nice cam and stay away from the 1.6 rocker arms, not much use it anyway if you just want a nice low-buck performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor