605 Steer'n Box Gave 78K Everyone opts for a Heavier unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
OK different angle on this thread

It is leaking from the plate that bolts on to the top of the box

Turn the wheel while I watched the box, and that plate/nut move when you change direction. Not very much, maybe 1/8", but the movement of this plate and the leak both need to be corrected.

Does anyone know what may be causing the movement of this plate and what I can do to correct it.

The Car still steers fine~

It gave 78k miles of fine service I'm sure not everyone trashes these for the heaver unit?

Thanks!

605_Saginaw.jpg

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
are you taking about the cover with 4 bolts? I have never seen that cover leak....

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
Mine doesn't have four bolts it's the same place your talking about where the adjustment is, but it is released with a ring~

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you remove the pitman arm and then I think there is a ring at the bottom of the shaft, then remove that ring the cover with the shaft will come out and there is probably an o ring under that.

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
After some research it seems as these may not be a very loved gear box..(unreliable)... I was hoping to through a few seals in & on to something else. But I don't want to R& R again next year~ otherwise what's the most economical way to go with a more reliable gear box.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the 800 box is a bolt in. You can get a saginaw 800 reman box for about $200 or get a used one. You can get one he same ratio you have or get a quicker ratio

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
The 800 needs to come with the correct Pittman arm for the Malibu also?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you get a used box from a G body you can use the arm that comes with it..

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, the 800 series pitman shaft is larger diameter than the 600 series and manual boxes, so be sure to get it as it is not available except for junkyards or epay. I had a 600 series that leaked, bought the seals kit, and found the pitman shaft so corroded and pitted as to be useless. As stated, the 800 series bolts right in and is pretty bulletproof. You just need the correct pitman arm. Steve I don't think he has the good box you have, but rather the junk OEM with the snap ring top.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Mark, thanks for correcting me about the pitman arm, I forgot the 605 had the 1" shaft. I didn't think he had the same box I have, I forgot the 605 had that snap ring till he reminded me of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor