605 to 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
A good link for the steering box internal information http://jeffd.50megs.com/Bobs_steering_page.htm

"As you see by this pic, the teeth on the rack are all the same size and depth. This gives this gear set a constant ratio"

thanks ....just what I was looking for ~ This then would be the quickest box without using a custom builder? I'm thinking the constant ratio doesn't loose turn ratio throughout the entire turn?

guess we schooled today, thanks !

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
All that said ~ Amazon sent me a Cardone 27-6550 ... arrived in 1 day. Surprisingly 2. 5 or so turns to lock $86 plus tax, free delivery & want to give me core money too?

Allstar pitman ordered as well as pitman puller ~

Reactions: 1 user

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
So the mod is done:

I have a 81 malibu classic that had a wet 605 box

Going with the cardone gave me a 2.5 true turn to lock.

Pump lines went in without adapters

$11 for a TEKTON 1/2 Inch Drive x 1-5/16 Inch 6-Point Socket - SHD22033 ~ Amazon

$47.99 for Allstar Performance ALL56357 Pitman Arm G-Body Metric (1978-88 800 Box) ~ Amazon

$86 for a Cardone 27-6550 Remanufactured Power Steering Gear (Renewed) Amazon was on sale Amazon

51.84 for a Power Steering Shaft For Jeep Cherokee 1984-1994 XJ Omix-Ada 18016.05 _ 49cm - 54cm adjustable lenght : thEbay

Total Upgrade $197.52

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You lucked out. Most of the Cardone, etc., generic rebuilds are about as good as the generic carburetor rebuilds. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't.

Although, I'd put a 442 box on the sucker. It's a better box because it came off a 442. :p

Really though, it's all BS about the GN box, Monte SS box, Hurst/Olds or 442 box, etc., as they were ALL the same GM part number. And they also ended up on other cars as well.

$200 for the changeover is a good price. PERSONALLY speaking, I'd have sprang for new hoses and a new/rebuilt pump as well to ensure everything in the system was not going to be the weakest link. But that's just me.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I've bought two from Advanced Auto and both of them were the quick ratio. Perhaps I lucked out as well, but I'd guess that it's more a matter of the rebuilder, Cardone, uses only the parts for the preferred ratio. I also snagged a 442 box from the junkyard for another build - all 3 performed the same. FWIW, swapping to an Astro steering shaft took up more slop than a new gear.

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I bought my QR 800 box off BAP.com. (Buy Auto Parts) for my 605/800 swap. Needed to also replace my Pittman arm to use the 800 box. It "bolted right in" without issue and works great.

Next will be the steering column conversion to ditch the rag joint.

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
You lucked out. Most of the Cardone, etc., generic rebuilds are about as good as the generic carburetor rebuilds. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't.

Although, I'd put a 442 box on the sucker. It's a better box because it came off a 442. :p

Really though, it's all BS about the GN box, Monte SS box, Hurst/Olds or 442 box, etc., as they were ALL the same GM part number. And they also ended up on other cars as well.

$200 for the changeover is a good price. PERSONALLY speaking, I'd have sprang for new hoses and a new/rebuilt pump as well to ensure everything in the system was not going to be the weakest link. But that's just me.
I agree ~ just the economy has beat me back to a minimalist again. I knew I took a chance with the rebuild but once I learned the sequence I'd be back up to ripping her back out if need be~

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor