6l80 in a regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Is there any one that has put one in a g body that doesn't mind talking to me and answering a few questions?

Everything I’ve read indicates you will need to cut the tunnel to fit a six speed. My 4L80 was tight. You’re probably aware already but I thought I would mention it just in case

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I’ve looked at it. The main advantage is the smaller “steps” between gears. However, the overall ratio spread difference between it and a 4L65E or 4L80E is about the same.

It may require some sheetmetal surgery to open up the “doghouse” and center tunnel to give it more room, since it’s physically larger.

BobinHSV

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
I'm getting ready to put a Gen IV 6.0/6L80E into my El Camino. Everyone says that you have to cut the trans tunnel for a fit, but no one defines what the mod needs to be. I am going to measure the width of the trans, transfer the measurement to the tunnel and cut the tunnel to allow the trans to fit horizontally, then fab a new top to sit over the old hump and secure with stainless Riv-Nuts and stainless button head screws. I will take pictures and provide measurements for reference. Probably be a few months since I need to rebuild the front suspension and re-gear the diff from 2.56 to 3.42. I have a new factory Pont G8 shifter to also fit to the tunnel.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I know the 6 speed behind the 5.3 was pretty crappy in trucks, maybe the stock 5.3 was the main issue. The new 8 speeds are much more responsive. I even like the Nag 1 5 speed better. The gear ratios are good maybe with better programming and a motor that has more torque will help.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

BobinHSV

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
The 8 speeds are disasters. I have an 8 speed in both my C7 Corvette and 2015 Escalade. The Escalade has been in the dealer 4 times for various trans problems. The 2105 Corvettes with the 8 speeds had similar problems. Fortunately both have long warranty periods, so fails are covered under these GM Warranties. Escalade only used them from mid 15 through 17. 18 Escalade had the GM/Ford 10 speed, which seems to be a great transmission. The 6L80E's have one weakness and that's the long term torque converter life. I have a good friend who is a trans shop owner and he says that if you change the TC at about 100K miles, the trans will last forever.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Did he say what goes wrong with the converter? I'm guessing the clutch for the lockup wears out. With that pwm the clutch sure gets slipped a lot.

BobinHSV

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2018
Apparently the clutch comes apart and shreds itself all into the trans. You then need a complete rebuild to clean it up. Converter is pretty cheap if you have a friend in the business.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 8 speeds are disasters. I have an 8 speed in both my C7 Corvette and 2015 Escalade. The Escalade has been in the dealer 4 times for various trans problems. The 2105 Corvettes with the 8 speeds had similar problems. Fortunately both have long warranty periods, so fails are covered under these GM Warranties. Escalade only used them from mid 15 through 17. 18 Escalade had the GM/Ford 10 speed, which seems to be a great transmission. The 6L80E's have one weakness and that's the long term torque converter life. I have a good friend who is a trans shop owner and he says that if you change the TC at about 100K miles, the trans will last forever.
Good to know, another reason to avoid later GM's. Ford probably did their homework designing that new 10 speed. Our ZF 8 speed has been flawless in our Challenger so far. That pulse width modulated bs has been causing issues since 95 in the 4L60E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor