6x12 Enclosed Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
So I couldn't pass up the deal that was offered on this enclosed trailer. It had not moved in 3 years, and needed tires. It's a 2016 Carry On 6x12 ft, dual axle, barn door, with side door, trailer brakes. I bought it for $2500, and the seller handed me brand new license plate tags. I just completed a weekend rehab project that included a complete wash, polished the aluminum trim, and fenders, painted the front frame & jack. Installed new tires, a Harbor Freight steel tongue box. I lubricated all the door hinges, and all the lights are working 👍.
IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

I made these with the label maker 😆.
IMG_3190.JPG

This is a solid box. Fits good. Looks good. Lockable. And for $144, I couldn't go wrong.
IMG_3192.JPG

I cleaned up the chains on the wire wheel, and added the covers to keep them clanking together. This is "abrasion cover" for high pressure hoses used in the oil & gas indusrty. I had some stashed from my days in that industry, and they came in handy yesterday.
IMG_3193.JPG

I have $2980 in this. My plan is to convert this into a camper. Plans inlude insulation, cabinets, sink, shower, fold up bunk beds, and air conditioning.
Here it is connected to my newly acquired 2001 Suburban 2500 with 8.1 liters of pure big block power.
IMG_3195.JPG

I'll leave it here for now. The camper conversion will have to wait a few months. I have too much going on with home improvements.

Welcome to the 8.1 club. You're going to LOVE that truck. I can't notice a difference between driving with 10 or 12k behind me and having nothing there.

Good tires, highly inflated, gentle on the throttle, you should see mid-upper teens mpg empty and around 14 towing heavy and loaded.

So I couldn't pass up the deal that was offered on this enclosed trailer. It had not moved in 3 years, and needed tires. It's a 2016 Carry On 6x12 ft, dual axle, barn door, with side door, trailer brakes. I bought it for $2500, and the seller handed me brand new license plate tags. I just completed a weekend rehab project that included a complete wash, polished the aluminum trim, and fenders, painted the front frame & jack. Installed new tires, a Harbor Freight steel tongue box. I lubricated all the door hinges, and all the lights are working 👍.
View attachment 202857
View attachment 202858
I made these with the label maker 😆.
View attachment 202859
This is a solid box. Fits good. Looks good. Lockable. And for $144, I couldn't go wrong.
View attachment 202860
I cleaned up the chains on the wire wheel, and added the covers to keep them clanking together. This is "abrasion cover" for high pressure hoses used in the oil & gas indusrty. I had some stashed from my days in that industry, and they came in handy yesterday.
View attachment 202861
I have $2980 in this. My plan is to convert this into a camper. Plans inlude insulation, cabinets, sink, shower, fold up bunk beds, and air conditioning.
Here it is connected to my newly acquired 2001 Suburban 2500 with 8.1 liters of pure big block power.
View attachment 202862
I'll leave it here for now. The camper conversion will have to wait a few months. I have too much going on with home improvements.
Good to see you back. Nice deal on the trailer. 8.1 beast looks good. Did you replace the Dodge?

Reactions: Rktpwrd
are those roof rails the ones with the built-in tail lights/turn signals on the rear tips?

Welcome to the 8.1 club. You're going to LOVE that truck. I can't notice a difference between driving with 10 or 12k behind me and having nothing there.

Good tires, highly inflated, gentle on the throttle, you should see mid-upper teens mpg empty and around 14 towing heavy and loaded.
I knew if you saw this, you would have good things to say about the 8.1L. I remember your posts about finding yours. I got a great deal on it. $4300 Everything works. It had a new battery, new brakes, 2 brand new tires, and a fresh oil change. It is a 2wd, but I'll just be using it as a tow vehicle, and since I live in the South, a 4wd is not necessary. Since I'm a junkyard dog, I found a front receiver in the junkyard (2 actually) for $25 each. I got the Escalade rear pillar caps ( already painted my color ) for $5 each. I got the Z71 roof rack for $75. I have done a nice tune up on it with new Delco plugs, wires, and alternator. New serpentine belt, and a dual battery conversion. I also bought the other (2) Cooper tires. I'm pretty happy with it!

are those roof rails the ones with the built-in tail lights/turn signals on the rear tips?
That is the Z71 roof rack, and although you see people swap in the 3" round lights in the backside, it does not come that way from GM. I have not done the modification yet.

Good to see you back. Nice deal on the trailer. 8.1 beast looks good. Did you replace the Dodge?
Hey Jared! Nice to be back turning some wrenches again. I did sell the Ram, (1) of the Equinox, and the Buick Aero.

A 6x12 camper trailer? My truck camper is bigger than that! Surprising that it's a tandem axle at that size. I'm curious to see how you fit everything in there.
People do it with a 10 footer, lol. I will update the thread when construction starts. The tandem axles are rated for 7,000 pounds. More than I will need.

I knew if you saw this, you would have good things to say about the 8.1L. I remember your posts about finding yours. I got a great deal on it. $4300 Everything works. It had a new battery, new brakes, 2 brand new tires, and a fresh oil change. It is a 2wd, but I'll just be using it as a tow vehicle, and since I live in the South, a 4wd is not necessary. Since I'm a junkyard dog, I found a front receiver in the junkyard (2 actually) for $25 each. I got the Escalade rear pillar caps ( already painted my color ) for $5 each. I got the Z71 roof rack for $75. I have done a nice tune up on it with new Delco plugs, wires, and alternator. New serpentine belt, and a dual battery conversion. I also bought the other (2) Cooper tires. I'm pretty happy with it!
Sounds like you're well on your way...

If you didn't already know, a few tips I've picked up on the way with these:

If you need nicer, or decide to go after spares, for the middle row seats, or, want to switch captains chair/bench one way or another, there's two types - 2000-2002, and, 03-06. Supposedly the mounts and lever latches work differently and don't swap without changing floor provisions (I assume cutting and welding involved from what I'm told.) Also, the shorter door yukon/tahoe/escalade not a donor for the 2nd row, but is for front. Middle is yukon xl/burb/escalade esv.

There's 2 cat and 4 cat versions of the exhaust on the 8.1, but, it was computer selected and not a california/federal emissions split thing. What headers are out there don't work on the 4 cat version as they end in the middle of a converter. It can be changed, but, needs plenty of work because you supposedly lose sensors along with cars and need to mess with things. Doable, but, just know what you're getting into before spending money.

Since you're towing, be cognizant of your rear ratio. It'll pull anything you put behind it with ease. Having driven both, the 3.73s feel every bit as strong as the 4.10s. However, gm rated the 3.73s 2000# less in gvwr and the dot nazis could give you an expensive lesson over it.

If the 10000# vs 12000# rating matters to you, well, there's guys who do things with stickers....just mentioning.

Door jamb stops at 45psi even though elsewhere, at least in my manual, says 80psi rear when towing. Tire monkeys need to be reminded, especially since you're towing. Or make sure yourself anyways.

With relatively minor adjustments in the front end/grille you can put a HD series hood on the truck which really changes the aggressiveness appearance wise, if you're into it...

Reactions: Texas82GP
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor