6x9 Rear Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PILOT

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2007
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Have any of you replaced your factory 4x10 rear speakers with 6x9's?

I just bought some Alpine 6x9's with a 4x10 to 6x9 adapter. Got everything put together, go to throw the speakers up under the deck and they don't fit. Too wide.

Looking for any ideas that you may have come across.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
Do a search of the threads on this site and you should come across some previous discussions on this topic. I know some of guys say they work, I have not tried myself. I believe that people have used the adapters from Crutchfields.

Why don't they fit? What are they hitting? I recall reading that you could have clearance issues on the horizontal torsion rods that support the trunk when open. If you have the gas strut style trunk supports, that should not be an issue.

PILOT

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2007
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Well I got them in. Kind of mickey-moused it. The torsion bars for the trunk are in the way, and even if they weren't, my speakers are too wide for the rear deck lid, by about 1/2". So right now they are sitting on a bit of an angle with only the wire from the adapter kit holding them up.

I think I'll have to build some custom enclosures above the rear deck lid, and maybe tilt it 45 degrees from a vertical position towards the front of the car.

Seems like these Alpine magnets are too big - but that's a good thing! sort of...

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Join the club. Most don't fit real wll. Just part of the car hobby, I guess. Mine were tight and I had to push the torsion bars forward to get them in. After laying in the trunk for 1/2 hr. sweating 10lbs. off, I got them in and don't ever plan on taking them out. My Infinty's were a snug fit just like yours. Sound quality made it all worth while.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have a set of 6x9 Pioneers in my 85 Cutlass with a set of adapters and they fit OK, but I wound up wedging a piece of foam in between them and the torsion rods to keep down on resonance. I also trimmed the divider bar out of the openings in the rear deck to allow more sound through. I believe I also clearanced the rear deck from underneath to keep it from hitting, and I plan to Dynamat the area to further reduce resonance when I reassemble it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor