7.5” 10 bolt disc brake conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey guys. I’ve been looking at the G body rear disc brake conversion kits. There are various kits available which seem to have various different bracket designs.

Do the existing drum brake shields need to come off and if so can the disc kit be installed after the axles have been reinstalled??

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yes dust shields need to be removed, and no, disc's can't be installed after the axles are back in. They need to be out to install the associated items for the conversion.

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
If two disk brakes are good, four must be better..... whats wrong with keeping the drums for the rear, you need the majority of the stopping power up front, not the rear.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
If two disk brakes are good, four must be better..... whats wrong with keeping the drums for the rear, you need the majority of the stopping power up front, not the rear.
They are completely shot. And also have been sitting for 20 years. I prefer discs due to familiarity so am happy to ditch the drums.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Parking brake cables are not found in a kit that are the correct length. Calling bruisedbanana79

The driver side cable and sheath will be too short - BARELY. Unless of course you order a custom kit.

And most of the kits with Seville calipers will not allow for the car to be lowered much without notching the frame for the parking cable attaching point.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Many of us have gone the cheap route with Camaro Rear Disk setups. Parts are easily available at the local 5 & Dime auto parts store as well as the major parts such as brackets, calipers and nut and bolts at the pick & pull. U Tube has bunches of videos on how to do it.
1658281874573.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Parking brake cables are not found in a kit that are the correct length. Calling bruisedbanana79

The driver side cable and sheath will be too short - BARELY. Unless of course you order a custom kit.

And most of the kits with Seville calipers will not allow for the car to be lowered much without notching the frame for the parking cable attaching point.
Good to know, thanks for the info

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
E Cable cutting/routing is a fabricate it yourself. I tried the Seville setup and it was a disaster. Gave the whole setup to a friend who still hasn't installed it. Never could make the e-brake adjustment. Hit the frame as well. As you can see on my Camaro setup, I used longer bump stops to prevent the caliper from hitting the frame. This is with stock F41 rear springs!

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Many of us have gone the cheap route with Camaro Rear Disk setups. Parts are easily available at the local 5 & Dime auto parts store as well as the major parts such as brackets, calipers and nut and bolts at the pick & pull. U Tube has bunches of videos on how to do it. View attachment 203016
By cheap route how much did this route cost?

Clean setup by the way, very nice

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Spent 548.00 for Ac Delco rotors/pads/e-brake shoes and caliper repair kits and AC Delco pads and a complete 2002 Camaro rear end. I used the backing plates, calipers and cable brakes w/nuts and bolts and the yard gave me back 75 for the remaining rear end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor