7.5 10 bolt rear series 2 posi swap question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I bought a factory limited slip posi unit from a member here. I know my way around rear ends but never set up gears with backlash and all that crap. I'm wondering how close you guys think it would be to just put my ring gear on from my peg leg to the posi unit and bolt it in????

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Are you saying you want to mix and match ring and pinions? If yes, then that's a no no for sure. If you do mix and match a ring with different pinions, then it won't last long.

It sounds like you just want to move the posi from one rear to another. Assuming that you have two rears, one with an open carrier and one with a posi - the easiest way to use the posi is to just swap the posi into the housing that has the gears that you want to use. Most likely, repeat most likey, if you could get away with the same carrier shims as were in the original rear with the open diff.

I've done what you're trying to do many times. The best way to do it is to grab a shim kit, 2 side bearings and races. You can reuse the ring gear bolts if you can confirm they aren't stretched (remember - left hand threads.)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
setting up the back lash is the easiest part of doing a rear end. Did the posi carrier come with the shims attached to the side they were installed on?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Just get a shim kit, easy as that. I eye balled two sets of 7.5 gears, only problem was exploding spider gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor