7.5" gm posi rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klincalv454

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 10, 2013
Ontario
bought a 1987 monte carlo ss parts car with the 3.73 posi rearend set up and was wondering if these gm 7.5 posi units can be rebuilt? with all new clutches and everything? I'm trying to decided what set up I should run with. (either the stock posi, or go to true-trac carrier) the reason I want to rebuild it is because there is a LOT of clutch material in the oil, and there seems to be a small crack in one of the clutch plates, or some kind of crack on the inside of the unit, not really sure what the part is lol. not very good with rear-ends and what they need when it comes to rebuilding them if you even can. the main reason I want to rebuild this one is because money is tight! and when the time comes I want to put a hole different set up in.

cudablack2004

Greasemonkey
Oct 18, 2011
glen burnie md
personally i would rebuild the entire rear! alot on here will push towards the 8.5 or the 9 inch rears but if you are not planning on running 10s or 9s in the quarter dont bother i seen lots of guys racing cars thats well in the 10s with 7.5 10 bolt rears...but back on subject...buy a new posi unit (research to see whats the best upgrade and dont cheap out), while thats out pickup a set of aftermarket axles (yukon sells a good upgraded set for dirt cheap) and replace bearings, seals, and ring and pinion

klincalv454

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 10, 2013
Ontario
yes, I know how people push for the bigger rearend! I get it all the time lol and in time I'm sure that will happen! but for the time being I just want to get a decent little set up that I'm not scared to beat on. I have the built engine/transmission and was running just an one wheel peeler and wasn't happy with it. So then I got my hands on this parts car and it has the factor posi unit in it! however, it appears that someone else has had their fun with this rearend lol! and that I also wouldn't to beat on this factory unit! so i'm kind of stuck in between just rebuilding the factory unit. or going to a detroit locker or true trac 28 spline posi instead of the stock 26 spline. but I just wanted to know my options and if these factory clutch type posi units can be rebuilt????

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I don't think it could be rebuilt... but I could be wrong.. If I was you I would look for a a 98-02 Zexel torsen lsd, used or new 8.5 10 bolt 28 spline axles from a 8.5 GN or 442 rear a Girdle from Summit and have fun! I had all those parts ready to go for my 7.625 ,3:73 ratio rearend before I found my 8.5 GN posi rear. My buddy is running it now and I have to to say it's holding up.. I would also recommend getting the axle tubes welded to the center section if you can :D I've blown up plenty of 7.5's... but that was my original plan for a stout 7.5 rear. and I everything pretty reasonable and less then what I would have spent on the posi unit itself! :wink:

klincalv454

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 10, 2013
Ontario
I also don't believe the stock gm posi unit in the car is rebuildable? and for a zexel unit where could I find one of those? and how much do they usually cost? (would a scrap yard have one?)

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
klincalv454 said:
I also don't believe the stock gm posi unit in the car is rebuildable? and for a zexel unit where could I find one of those? and how much do they usually cost? (would a scrap yard have one?)
I picked up a rear end from a 02 ss with the Zexel torsen lsd and a aluminum summit girdle for 150.00, I have seen the lsd unit cheap at the salvage yard from 98+ fbody cars the biggest thing is picking up some GN or 442 8.5 axles cheap!, though some new ones from Summit are decent: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msr-a ... odel/regal
y here is a lsd on ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-02-Camaro-7-5-3-42-Differential-Ring-Pinion-POSI-10-bolt-28-spline-Torsen-/121168154195?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c362f4e53&vxp=mtr though you can pick one up cheaper from a salvage yard you just need the center section if you have good gears, if not pull the donor car ring and pinion as well. 8)

klincalv454

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 10, 2013
Ontario
thanks so much! I tried ebay and couldn't find anything but I guess I wasn't searching the right thing! lol I think i'll be going down that road! it seems like it will be the best bang for the buck! so all 98+ fbody cars with posi have the torsen rearend? or it was just a option in some of them?

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
klincalv454 said:
thanks so much! I tried ebay and couldn't find anything but I guess I wasn't searching the right thing! lol I think i'll be going down that road! it seems like it will be the best bang for the buck! so all 98+ fbody cars with posi have the torsen rearend? or it was just a option in some of them?

Option I believe, look for the code g80 in the service id label in the glove box. Also I have seen them in both V6 and V8 equipped f bodies.. BTW if your pulling one already might as well pull the rear disc brakes great upgrade as well... :wink:

klincalv454

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 10, 2013
Ontario
will most junk yards still have them around? or have people more or less dried the f-body rear-ends up? thanks so much for the info!

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
klincalv454 said:
will most junk yards still have them around? or have people more or less dried the f-body rear-ends up? thanks so much for the info!

should be somewhat readily available... but they usually get picked over pretty quick around here. A lot of vehicles can use those same upgrades if they came with the 7.5 rear axles, i.e. S-10"s, 3rd gen F bodies, Blazer's, G bodies, etc etc I have ran across a few in my junkyard expeditions.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor