7.5 limited slip rearend ???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I installed a g body 7.5 373 limited slip rearend and when I do a powerbrake sometimes it will leave 2 marks and sometimes only one tire will spin any suggestions whats going on with 1 and 2 tires spinning different times rearend is used?Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
auburn's cones are worn out and they are not rebuildable...if you have synthetic rear end oil try the conventional rear end oil

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
If I can recall this is my 3rd 7.5 rearend in different cars that does this I would hate to put my 8.5 in my daily driver I guess I will not be doing anymore burnouts LOL

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
If I can recall this is my 3rd 7.5 rearend in different cars that does this I would hate to put my 8.5 in my daily driver I guess I will not be doing anymore burnouts LOL
Regardless of this, or any other rear end, the idea with the 7.5 is to not powerbrake or burnout unless you own a towing yard/junkyard and have plenty of free units to swap in.

They just werent meant for that abuse, sad as it is. Auburn units. C-Clips. The joys of 80s gm entry level differentials.

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

0a4d6054cd70dc9285629e9dea0cf66b.jpg

• Haha

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
Yeah they suck for the most part. Put any real amount of power or abuse behind one and they become a one wheel peel pretty quick. Over the summer I put a mint one out of a sub 100k MC SS, I think I got a solid month or two of nice burnouts before it went back to one leggers. At least they don't tend to create projectiles like the old gov-locks.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah they suck for the most part. Put any real amount of power or abuse behind one and they become a one wheel peel pretty quick. Over the summer I put a mint one out of a sub 100k MC SS, I think I got a solid month or two of nice burnouts before it went back to one leggers. At least they don't tend to create projectiles like the old gov-locks.
Or like the stock 7.5" open spider gears. At least the open Monte SS ones have the larger, more even sized. 7 5/8" rear spider gears. Just switch tires side to side, every now and then to keep the wear even. The Torsen posi was the only decent 7.5" factory posi made. The rest are just too small and weak.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Shim the spring pack a little. My "old worn out crappy" 7.5 is so tight it chirps on turns on some road surfaces. I built it from left over/blown up parts. I literally stoned the cones to get the burrs off them. Summit has the springs in fact. Remember that it's not a locker. It will only spin both tires if they both lose traction. A 7.5 isn't terribly strong but I am running one in my G body and I'm putting one back into my Third gen. For a modest street car I see no reason to go to an 8.5 unless you make real power or have big/heavy wheel and tire combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor