7.5 rear end to ford 9 inch driveshaft modification???/

Status
Not open for further replies.

monteman1

n00b
Jul 16, 2009
i am removeing my stock 87 7.5 rearend from my 87 monte ls and installin a ford 9 inch g-body set up, i need to know if i am gonna have to cut my driveshaft or lengthen it,,, and if any body has info on what size wheels i should run , i want a slick of some sort ,,,backspaceing?????off set???????? thanks guys :D [/b]

zach5187

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2009
omaha, ne,68138
The splines on the output shaft of the trans should be the same and the yoke on the differential end will need to be matched to 9". I believe you are going to have to shorten your driveshaft. Not sure how much though

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
You should really measure once the rear is in to get the right length driveshaft. And if you have enough power and slicks you may want to just get a better one made.

As far as wheel size, a 15x8 with 3.5 backspace and a 28x10 slick seems to be popular.

And if you choose to keep your stock driveshaft and the length will work, there is a u-joint available that will fit your stock shaft and fit the 1350 yoke on the 9".

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
no need to cut any drive shaft just use a 4 inch yoke which alot of the 3 rd members have them already i have done the mod with my car already and have done the rear disk setup to it also if you need any detailed info let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor