7.5 rear suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
After getting my 359 sbc running right in my 88 cutlass finally I decided to powerbrake it. Well, it has posi. I find this unusual being that it was an all original 1 owner car with a 7.5 10 bolt. Did a few more burnouts, and every time both wheels lit up. I've been searching high and low for an 8.5 or 12 bolt to mo avail. What do you guys think about putting 3.73s in the 7.5 since it already is posi? And what do you recommend for gear oil for the rear now that I actually want to take the cover off and change oil and gasket and inspect it? Thanks

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
It may or may not be a posi - Did it have the tag? If it is chances are it's a gov lock posi(not desirable) and it may not have the right series carrier for 3.73. To answer your question a well built 7.5 will handle 350 hp but that's about the max and will take $$ to get there. I personally wouldn't put any money in the 7.5 cause the money would be better spent else where. If your rear is a posi you can get a few $$ selling it.

IMG_4758.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
I know people who have respectable running small blocks in their g body's with 7.5's. I put the 3.73's on mine. The point is if you want to hook and launch hard then no don't do it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you do want to change the rear end don't overlook an 8.2 rear end, it has 28 spline axles and will hold up to 500 hp

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I've had performance gear 3.73's & an eaton posi with posi additive & standard gear oil behind an ls1 with t-56 trans for over 14 years now. I do boil over the tires here & there, but I always try to be conscious not to rev too high & hit the clutch too hard, particularly from a dead stop & on hot pavement. I have to agree with ok if you don't hook too hard.

Call it careful or call it lucky. looked into the ford mustang 8'8 swap before, seemed to be a lot of bs to go through to make it work, hard to keep it low budget. The new ford 9" premade housings have made things drop in price for them , but still not a low budget thing & I've always heard there is more power loss with a 9". G-body 8.5's are a lot harder to come by these days & most would have the gears you want in them & probably a lot of wear;;;; more money. New premade 12 bolts are even more money.
So I'm still trying to refrain myself from breaking the 7'5 for now.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 2 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Thanks. What tag should i be looking for? What is a gov lock posi? And, I just want to preserve this for the time being. I refuse to put anything other than gm parts in my car.

• Creative
Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
The tag would be on one of the cover bolts telling you to use posi diff-lube. Google (GM gov lock posi)

Apr 23, 2016
After getting my 359 sbc running right in my 88 cutlass finally I decided to powerbrake it. Well, it has posi. I find this unusual being that it was an all original 1 owner car with a 7.5 10 bolt. Did a few more burnouts, and every time both wheels lit up. I've been searching high and low for an 8.5 or 12 bolt to mo avail. What do you guys think about putting 3.73s in the 7.5 since it already is posi? And what do you recommend for gear oil for the rear now that I actually want to take the cover off and change oil and gasket and inspect it? Thanks
Do what you can to get away from that rear. The 3 series gear is better than the 4....a little larger pinion, but any hp and a little pushing it is bound to blow. Look into Currie or strange.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Why you already changed engine brands, the Ford 9" is very durable and parts galore. That 7.5" doesn't stand a chance as is. I broke a no slip and then blew up open spider gears and they are bigger than the posi spider gears. I would put the Tru Trac worm gear posi, eliminating spider gears and 3.73 gears with 28 spline axles to have a hope in hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor