7.5 rear suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Going with the 28 spline carrier, it would just be safer to go with an aftermarket set of axles. They will be the right lenth plus a little stronger. Why take a gamble with axles that are close but not exact.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Speedy94c

Apprentice
Sep 3, 2016
The reason I would go with a set of stock axles that were just a lil longer is $$$$$ I am on a budget and just dont have it to spend on my toy. I can get s10 axles at our local yards for cheep and a carrier also cheep. Putting it all together myself for around $100.00. This is a cruiser not a race car, we just drive it around town and not on the hwy. I just love driving it and doing mild tire smoking burnouts every once in a whlie.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
There are NO other 28 spline axles that fit.

Longer axles means the brakes will not fit or function, sorry. Sort of like 26 inch inseam jeans when you need 32...

Used ones from an original 8.5 G-body (that used to go for $100-150 years back) or new for $270. You can score a used posi and gears for less and $200. I know, its SOOOO much money, not compared to buying a whole rearend. $470 for a 3.23 or 3.42 or 3.73 posi is not that bad compared to $1865 for a complete 9 inch package.

If you don't care, run the 26 spline axles, they break, its okay, if you have other G-body parts cars in salvages then you have spares. If you don't want to run slicks and just to bald eagle burn-outs, then continue to enjoy!

Speedy94c

Apprentice
Sep 3, 2016
I am doing this just as an experiment on a low cost rear option. My 26 spline carrier only turns one wheel. I was told when I bought the car it was a posi. I havent pulled the cover to see whats going on with it. I have a extra 7.5 complete rear end that im going to do the set up in.
I dont want to spend a lot of money on this because if im going to spend any big money I will go ahead and put the 9 inch ford rear end (that I alerady have) in it. I would go ahead and put it in but I dont have any gears with a posi. All mine have spools which are not nice on the street.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The reason I would go with a set of stock axles that were just a lil longer is $$$$$ I am on a budget and just dont have it to spend on my toy..

if the axle breaks you could destroy the quarter panel or the whole car so saving a few $$$$ to use a part that does not fit may cost you more in the end.

• Agree

Speedy94c

Apprentice
Sep 3, 2016
The axle has 2 1/2 inches of thick bearing surface on the outside of the axle. We have done this on some of our dirt cars with no problems. It may even be that the 28 spline axle goes into the carrier a little farther so it will may ride it the correct location. As I said before Im going to do this as an experiment and if I see that it is going to be something dangerous or just will not work out ill stop at that point and start looking for a 9 inch chuck with a posi

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The axle has 2 1/2 inches of thick bearing surface on the outside of the axle. We have done this on some of our dirt cars with no problems. It may even be that the 28 spline axle goes into the carrier a little farther so it will may ride it the correct location. As I said before Im going to do this as an experiment and if I see that it is going to be something dangerous or just will not work out ill stop at that point and start looking for a 9 inch chuck with a posi

we and a few other competitors broke a few right hand axles in our asphalt circle track cars just from the stress of the left turns. The tracks changed the rules so we had to run an aftermarket right hand axles in the G bodies and F bodies for safety purposes after a wheel ended up in the stands. If you keep your car on dirt roads after installing longer axles you should be ok I guess

Mr.hustlehard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 27, 2016
I've been trying to figure out if I could put an 8.5 ring gears in a7.5 housing. Would it fit, or should I get another rear end. Reason I'm asking because my rear end is literally worn out, gears and pinion bearing. Should I attempt to rebuild it, or get another?

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The gears from an 8.5 will not fit a 7.5.

The 28 spline 8.5 G-body axles will fit, only if you have changed to a 7.5/7.625 carrier with 28 spline side spider gears.

Score a set of gears and posi from a 1993 to 2002 Camaro or Firebird and purchase a set of Buick Grand National replacement axles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor