7.5 rebuild questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
So i have started my 7.5 rebuild. I ordered the quick performance 3.42 gear and posi carrier kit. I pressed off and saved the pinion bearings to make setup bearing out of and used the the pinion shim as a starting point. I tightened up the pinion setup to 12-14lbs rotational torque and put the new posi carrier in to get a gear reading.

How does the pattern look on the gears. I do need to reshim the carrier as i am only getting .005 of backlash and i was told .006 to .010. I also intend to use a solid pinion spacer instead of a crush sleeve.
20221231_162439.jpg
20230103_215534.jpg
20230105_173431.jpg
20230103_215541.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Here come the "you shouldn't waste money on a 7.5 rebuild" posts......

:popcorn:

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That pattern will work. Recheck after you get the gear lash correct - it might move it a little bit.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
JMO- I'd lighten up a bit on the gear paint. There's a sweet spot in the amount of that stuff that gives you a solid reading without squishing the stuff everywhere. You're mainly looking for paint transfer to give a clear pattern and you only need to do a small handful of teeth to get your pattern. From what I see in your pics, the pattern looks ok. It looks like it's right in the middle between the heel and crown, and going a hair deeper into the gear would give you a textbook pattern, but you're certainly fine where you are. You could maybe run the rear with the .005 but that's pretty tight. Is that an average or worst case? I'm assuming you checked backlash at least a few points around the ring gear, right? It MIGHT change a tad. I've never seen a perfect set of gears with the same backlash all around the ring, but I've also not rebuilt hundreds of them either. They may be out there.

If you use the .010/.007 rule, where for every .010 of carrier movement you change backlash by .007, You could go + .005 on the passenger side and -.005 on the driver side. This would be a .005 shift to the left to widen the gap where you SHOULD see about a .003-.004 increase in backlash all around. So you should end up with around .008-.009 backlash, which is certainly a consideration. However, with that in mind, there's no rule of thumb that I'm aware of for pinion shims so it's possible you may need to add a thin shim to the pinion, although not sure, as you would have to recheck engagement pattern to determine that.

These are simply my opinions and mean nothing. I'm trying to do math without finishing my first cup of coffee so I could be off by 30 thousandths or more. :) It's just a matter of shifting the carrier and pinion for the right mesh at this point. You're so close to the finish line, though. But this part is the most important and tedious thing. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I checked backlash in three spots arround . .005 is the average. I like how the pattern is centered. It looks like quite a few of the charts i downloaded. i agree the heavy paint was an issue .
I am nervous that it might change after i press the permanent bearing on vs my test bearing. This rear end only had 30xxx miles on it so the test bearing wasnt worn out..
Thanks for all advice

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan

Depends on what he is putting in front of it or planning on sticky tires.🤔

Reactions: 1 user

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio

Funny you say that, I would have definitely been one of them until I saw a guy with a Cutlass setup with a TH350 and an aggressive 383 power launch numerous times on slicks on a preped track..... at that very moment my opinion changed

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
For what it's worth, is the reading you are getting with the set-up paint or dry?

Have you measured or matched the set-up depth that should have been etched into the back of your pinion gear?

You mention you saved your original pinion bearing, did you have someone or did you hone out the original pinion bearing to be slip fit for setting up this rearend to get to the desired pinion depth? I have a couple I have honed out for set-up.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Funny you say that, I would have definitely been one of them until I saw a guy with a Cutlass setup with a TH350 and an aggressive 383 power launch numerous times on slicks on a preped track..... at that very moment my opinion changed
I am curious what was done to it? Honestly good used gears and Torsen posi from an F body then used GN or Moser 28 spline axles can get a decent 7.5" rear cheaply. A good used 8.5" at least it used to be about equal with building a 7.5" with all new parts. I broke my 7.5" enough with around 350 ft/lbs and slicks that I was hesitant to spend real money on one. With a stock 350 without slicks, he will be fine for many miles.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor