7.5 to 8.5 rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
hey guys, I just need a list of parts that I need to buy in order to do a swap for my 86 SS El Camino, which has a 7.5in 2.56:1 rear, all stock.

I want to upgrade to an 8.5in, or maybe 9in, so this is what I think I need so far. I need to buy this and give t all to a shop so they can install it. If I leave anything out, please let me know.

-New driveshaft that fits a 200r4, an inch shorter (I know it's an inch shorter for the 8.5, but not sure about the 9)
-new differential casing
-new ring and pinion gears, with desired ratio
-new axle
-new control arms (I'm not really sure what control arms are. To be honest, I really have no knowledge with this stuff, I just have heard people say that I will need control arms for this)
-Not sure if I can keep my original drum brakes, or if I have to get new ones.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It depends on your budget and power level as far as rearends the 8.5 can be built plenty strong but you can buy fully assembled all new 9" rearends that bolt right in with your choice of gears, carrier etc. but they are by no means cheap so you have to decide which route you will go first.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
It depends on your budget and power level as far as rearends the 8.5 can be built plenty strong but you can buy fully assembled all new 9" rearends that bolt right in with your choice of gears, carrier etc. but they are by no means cheap so you have to decide which route you will go first.
Oh, I didn't know the 9in would bolt right up. Do you know of a website where I can find that?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Moser, Currie, Strange, Quick Performance just to name a few that have 9" rears for Gbody you also have options for 12 bolt rears if you want to keep it Chevy. This options are many so you need to know what you want and how much power you will have and if you intend to increase it in the future the only limit is your wallet.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I'm in the process of changing my original factory differential (rear end) to a Chassisworks FAB9. I have already converted the GP to 4-wheel disks (Wilwood), so the flange spacing will be exactly the same (at 2.5"). Also, my GP already has coilovers and new 4-link. The 4-link bolted into the original stock location and the FAB9 meets that criteria as well. Check out the Chassisworks web site (https://www.cachassisworks.com/c-9-monte-carlo-78-87-gm-g-body.aspx) since they make a "bolt it" system for the G-Body.

Last edited:

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I fixed the link in my previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor