7.5 to 8.5 rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
I would limit what you do on a daily driver to keeping it mechanically sound. I have modified dd's in my younger days and it isn't worth it. keep it tip top until you find another reasonable dd and take the elco off the road to build it the way you want, doing it right the first time. May take time but would be worth it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Everything will work but driveshaft needs to be shortened 1-1.5". I had a local machine shop shorten mine for $50. No need to rebalance it if the end is welded back on the same way it was cut off.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Its cool to be able to upgrade with all gm stuff, or even to steal the best parts of every g body and have a truly optioned out ride.

BUT

After you go through the whole thing youre only a couple hundred short of a 9".. And what happens when you want to change gear ratio..

Theres a lot more availability/ aftermarket support for a 9" also.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
Is that w expensive? My car is a daily driver so it can't take long either
with the rear and rebuild of it and new upper and lower control arms springs shocks .ect had 8.5 blasted and powder coated i have about 2000.00 in mine
rear end 85.jpg

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The 8.5 GN axle is identical from the pumpkin out, and the upper control arm mounts are also the same. The axle shafts are different - 28 splines instead of 26, length is the same - no issue if you get those with the axle. If not, Moser and others sell replacement/upgrades. Your 7.5 wheel cylinders, drums, backing plates shoes, etc. will bolt right on.
GN Brakes.jpg
I have about $1400 in this axle, with new gears, bearings, a half-priced 30-spline Craigslist Auburn, and Moser axle shafts. I blasted it and painted it with POR-15. The brake tabs are unpainted - I'll be cutting those off to swap in a pair of Camaro disc brakes.

Last edited:

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
i spend 2000.00 on mine i checked into a 9. with out control arms and disk brake set up is 2600.00 here then another 600.00 for the control arms. yes you have better selection of centers for a 9 them are crazy priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor