700-R4 Changing Fluid Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I was wondering, in my '88 Caprice the fluid still has some red to it, and considering the previous owner was a mechanic that did maintain the car nicely, should I change it?

Because I've heard some people say it's better to reuse instead, but considering this one was always topped up, is that a good idea? Thanks.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I've heard the same thing, some people actually run their transfluid through paint strainers and reuse it with a new filter.if it was any color other than red I'd be suspect of actually changing it out.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If your transmission is in good shape, there's no reason not to change fluid. If it's on the brink, or having troubles, the lubricating additives in the new fluid may make things worse.

Your call. For me, once a fluid is out of the vehicle, it's going to recycle. That's my take. If it were taken care of properly in the first place, it wouldn't even be a question. I think if you rebuilt it for the sake of saying, and went with a good synthetic transmission fluid from the start, you probably wouldn't have to change it for YEARS.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
If your transmission is in good shape, there's no reason not to change fluid. If it's on the brink, or having troubles, the lubricating additives in the new fluid may make things worse.

Your call. For me, once a fluid is out of the vehicle, it's going to recycle. That's my take. If it were taken care of properly in the first place, it wouldn't even be a question. I think if you rebuilt it for the sake of saying, and went with a good synthetic transmission fluid from the start, you probably wouldn't have to change it for YEARS.
Kk, I will change it this summer then. I have no idea if it's been rebuilt or not, but it runs good at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor