700r4 advice wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam_79G

n00b
Aug 2, 2022
Hi,

I am running a TCI street/strip non-lockup 700r4 behind a 383 (technically 385 @ .040” over) stroker in my 79 Monte. The TV cable is TCI aftermarket and the carb is Barry Grant sports claw (see picture). So much time has gone by since putting the car together that I can’t remember if I did anything specific to address TV cable geometry. Or if it is even correct. I remember researching it a lot and being confused about what was correct 😉

Using the “self adjusting” procedure (slide adjuster towards firewall while pressing button then rotate to WOT), I’m pretty satisfied with the part throttle shift points but experience shifts that are too late at WOT. I’d like to have it shift around 6100 RPM but if I don’t let up it will hit an HEI controlled ~6400 limit without shifting 1-2, 2-3. I don’t really count 3-4… isn’t there something about the 700r4 design that will keep it out of overdrive unless you’re around 75% throttle or less?

I’m afraid to “loosen” the cable with the adjuster and make line pressure too low/break something. Assuming correct geometry at the throttle which I would appreciate advice on - switching from the carb to a Pro Flo 4 EFI (4150 style throttle body) in the near future, not sure if I need some kind of corrector - anyone know what kind of goals to try and achieve with line pressure?

Thanks for any tips!

Adam

Attachments

• E5AD4888-17ED-4D92-9295-FEA53EF75DD6.jpeg
    E5AD4888-17ED-4D92-9295-FEA53EF75DD6.jpeg
    801.6 KB · Views: 102

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Your hook up looks correct, basically you want to have TV cable 100% at end of travel by 90% of WOT. I'll have to look it up as far as pressures, but your shift quicker or later is controlled by the governor.

Reactions: 1 user

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
WOT shift points are controlled by the governor from what I remember. I put at 3.42 in my wife's grandprix, WOT shifts are at about 3500 rpm, unless you shift it manually. It shifted a 5000 with the 2.41 in it. The part throttle shifts were fine either way. What rear end are you running?

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
the governor springs need to be changed. i have used kits from my transmission parts supplier. i am sure you can find a governor kit/weights and springs on the net,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor