700r4 Cooling issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I have been fighting this for awhile and keep changing parts trying to get this under control.

My setup. I have a 700R4 and the output port goes to top of rad cooler and out bottom to top of a 16pass aux cooler that is 15 x12 x 1 1/4 out bottom return to trans. Temp probe is in pan.

I would think this would keep it cool enough, but if I let the car idle it will warm up to about 220-240. Engine coolant temp never goes over 205. Running B&M trick shift fluid. Trans shifts good, no slip, lockup functional and works as should rpm drop ~200rpm when engages. Driving it runs around 180-210.

Am I missing something? Everything I read says trans should be 175-190 all the time and on factory car only uses the rad cooler so with the aux I should have much cooler temps.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Which fitting on the trans are you using as the outlet? top or bottom?

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
The only thing I can think of is perhaps when idling, the aux cooler may be sitting in hot stale air and may actually be storing heat, keeping the fluid hot rather than cooling. This is, of course, dependent on where it is located in your setup and may not even be really reasonable given what its designed to do.

Otherwise I do not recognize any obvious problems with how you have the lines routed and the cooler seems to be of more than adequate size.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I'm stumped... Took it out on road today, was just testing around town 1st after adding cooler. Now I seem to not have 3rd or 4th slips bad(I quickly got off gas and limped her home in 1st) The feed and return lines are both warm so I would think that means I have flow. Should the flow go "up" through the aux cooler to keep more back pressure on fluid by making it lift through the cooler? This issue is new from when I swapped from a 6pass to a 16pass cooler.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
drogg1 said:
The only thing I can think of is perhaps when idling, the aux cooler may be sitting in hot stale air and may actually be storing heat, keeping the fluid hot rather than cooling. This is, of course, dependent on where it is located in your setup and may not even be really reasonable given what its designed to do.

Otherwise I do not recognize any obvious problems with how you have the lines routed and the cooler seems to be of more than adequate size.

The cooler is mounted in my front air dam below the bumper.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Sounds like it's not in the air flow of your engine fan at idle but I'm not exactly sure by your description where it is located. Is it mounted to the front of the Radiator/AC condenser or are you saying it's below the bottom of the core support?

I've always installed an aux. trans cooler so that it is on the lower right corner (pass. side) of the radiator/AC condenser. This way when the engine fan is pulling air through the radiator it is also helping pull it through the aux. cooler as well. I also don't typically hook them up to the stock radiator cooler because I prefer them to be separate of each other.

On my '81 I just have an 11.25"x11.25"x1.75" cooler for the TH-2004R and with a 3000 stall converter in traffic during 90-95*F weather it usually sits right around 180*F and might climb to 190ish.

In my '87 I had this same cooler at one time but also had a small 10" electric pusher fan that I installed in front of it just for added insurance. You may look into something like this for when your at low speeds.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Well, I found my issue I believe... My TV cable slipped so long story short I now have burned up 3/4 clutch packs... Reverse,1st,2nd all shift good firm and crisp just no (extremely weak 3rd). I redid TV cable, but still slips 2-3 shift constant... I believe that is why my trans has been generating too much heat.

Sad day :wtf:

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Just dumb bad luck, :blam: you did all the right things, incidentally I don't think it really matters which way round the trans fluid flows. Yet your transmission got killed by a cable being out of adjustment.

Sympathies for you. :(

Roger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor