700r4 electrical wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Someone installed a 700r4 in the 81 Elky I purchased. They left the oem wiring connected to it but chopped off the ends of the wiring under the hood. With the computer gone how do I connect these wires to activate the lock up on the torque converter? Does anyone have some kind of wiring diagram I could go by?

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Someone installed a 700r4 in the 81 Elky I purchased. They left the oem wiring connected to it but chopped off the ends of the wiring under the hood. With the computer gone how do I connect these wires to activate the lock up on the torque converter? Does anyone have some kind of wiring diagram I could go by?
Post some pictures when you can, that would help.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
see attached PDF

Attachments

• 700R4-External-Lockup.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 230

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Its best to use a lockup kit that would provide the correct parts and explain everything needed for proper operation.

Link - https://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/60109.pdf

Some kit was used in my '79 malibu for the 700r4 thats in the car... one wire setup from the electrical plug from the trans, a GM vacuum/electrical switch mounted on the firewall, a brake light switch with extra contacts just for the lock/unlock of the torque converter.

I havent dropped the pan to see what was actually done, but im sure the TCC solenoid has to have been replaced along with the newer style pressure switch and wiring, one day i'll have a lQQk see when its time to change the transmission fluid, right now it has that brand new look and fresh smell to it, so no need to change it any time soon, the trans is working great right now.

Example pics from my car (a wee bit messy under the dash from the prior owner, but im going to clean things up big time and make it proper)

1. One wire trans electrical plug
2. GM vacuum/electrical switch (connected to full time vacuum from intake)
3. Brake light switch with added electrical contacts for converter lockup/unlock function
4. Inline 20a fuse connected to switched power on the fuse panel, do NOT connect full time power

Attachments

• TCC 1.JPG
    TCC 1.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 116
  • TCC 2.JPG
    TCC 2.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 113
  • TCC 3.JPG
    TCC 3.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 111
  • TCC 4.JPG
    TCC 4.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor