700r4 shift point change

Status
Not open for further replies.

censley

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2012
Hey fellas,

I have a 700r4, completely rebuilt. The issue I'm having is my 3-4 shift point. 1-2, 2-3 shift fine, but from 3-4 it shifts right behind my 2-3 shift AND it seems 'flat', not a strong shift.

How can I adjust this shift point to be further out? My tach won't work so I'm not sure the rpms. I have already adjusted the governor weights and springs to get 1-2 and 2-3 where I like.

3-4 blows! At WOT it really blows! Can barely feel it shift but it always does.

Also, can having the tv cable not adjusted properly rob hp?

I appreciate your help!

Mx372

Apprentice
Jul 30, 2012
have you but an update kit in the valve body? and the bigger boost valve? 700r4s are designed not to shift into 4th vary good at WOT until you do some valve body work.

censley

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2012
I haven't put an update kit in it. Is that the same as a shift kit?
Once it hits 4th the power isn't there as well. Is that due to torque converter locking up then?

MightyCarlo86

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2012
Im not too familiar with the 700R4 but I know with my built 200R4 I have the same issue but I got the TV cable adjusted to the point where it seems to work best and I ordered a new governer spring so that should help.

Mx372

Apprentice
Jul 30, 2012
censley said:
I haven't put an update kit in it. Is that the same as a shift kit?
Once it hits 4th the power isn't there as well. Is that due to torque converter locking up then?

thats just how its gonna be in 4th. the update kit (correction kit) fixes these problems in the 700r4. i rebuilt mine my self and i put the better pump, bigger boot valve, correction kit, Corvette Servo in it. i haven't drove it yet but it should hit every gear the same. Shift kits make the shifts harder and sooner by changing the accumulator springs some drag guys take the accumulator springs out all together and put sockets in there. highly recommend you never do that!.

Heres what i put in mine
http://www.monstertrans.com/store/produ ... 700R4.html

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Third to 4th gear should not be abrupt or quick into 4th. 4th is a cruising gear and will shift into 4th and lockup the TC when it is at stable rpm and throttle position. There are modification you can do to change how the 700R4 shifts, but they are internal changes and parts. Adjusting the TV cable on the 700R4 correctly is extremely important for proper operation and survivability of the transmission. If you are running a carb you will need a special bracket to set up the correct geometry for the cable to traverse.

It should NEVER shift into 4th @ WOT

Mx372

Apprentice
Jul 30, 2012
CWPottenger said:
Third to 4th gear should not be abrupt or quick into 4th. 4th is a cruising gear and will shift into 4th and lockup the TC when it is at stable rpm and throttle position. There are modification you can do to change how the 700R4 shifts, but they are internal changes and parts. Adjusting the TV cable on the 700R4 correctly is extremely important for proper operation and survivability of the transmission. If you are running a carb you will need a special bracket to set up the correct geometry for the cable to traverse.

It should NEVER shift into 4th @ WOT

if you set up the valve body right it will. i built two others exactly like mine and they both go into 4th WOT. 4th isn't a cruising gear its a gear OD is for cruising thats why the engine has to be stable. got 4 gears why not use them? :mrgreen:

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Mx372 said:
if you set up the valve body right it will. i built two others exactly like mine and they both go into 4th WOT. 4th isn't a cruising gear its a gear OD is for cruising thats why the engine has to be stable. got 4 gears why not use them? :mrgreen:

Didn't say you couldn't build it to do that, but requires internal changes. I took from his post that it was rebuilt in a stock configuration with just upgraded parts. So unless he takes trans apart again and changes things it should never shift into 4th gear @ WOT. 4th gear is OD on the 700R4 thus why it has .7:1 gear ratio. Anything under 1:1 is an overdrive and by it's very nature not designed for power, but cruising. The reason his is going into 4th as he describes is the TV cable is set wrong. Shifting on a 700R4 is a combination of Governor and TV cable position. The Lock up part of the converter is not the overdrive as many think,it just eliminates the slippage that all standard torque converters have and when in 4th gear(OD) lockup is basically required so that the transmission fluid does not heat up excessively in OD.

censley

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2012
Ive already adjusted the governor weights and springs to how I like it. Just dont like how soon she shifts into 4th after going into third.

As far as the tv cable adjustment, I get a little nervous messing with it because I know it can burn up the transmission fast if set wrong. Im just not getting the hp I expect. Is it safe to assume that when adjusting the tv cable, to adjust it towards (tighter) towards the front of the car so as to not jack up the transmission rather than loosen it which will easily burn it up?

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Do you have the proper brackets? If you do not have the cable properly set at the correct distance and angle from the throttle arm it will not function correctly.

If cable is in the correct location then adjustment is simple.

With car off:

1. push in the adjusting detent and hold.
2. open carb throttle to WOT and release detent.
3. cycle throttle from closed to WOT couple times to verify no binding.

You symptom sounds like a "stacked shift" which occurs when the cable is too loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor