700r4 shift point change

Status
Not open for further replies.

censley

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2012
I bought a Jegs 700r4 tv cable/throttle bracket but it did not fit due to the aftermarket intake so Im using a universal bracket from the auto store. Ive found no specific brackets from the edelbrock carb that will fit.

Mx372

Apprentice
Jul 30, 2012
Throttle valve cable controls line pressure. if it was off it would slip every gear. not a weak shift in one. shift feel is controlled by the valve body springs.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Mx372 said:
Throttle valve cable controls line pressure. if it was off it would slip every gear. not a weak shift in one. shift feel is controlled by the valve body springs.

Can't totally agree with this. Yes it controls line pressure, but with higher line pressure the shifts will also get firmer. So feel isn't just controlled by the springs. A soft shift can be caused by low line pressure/loose cable. You would think it would be the same in every gear but in practice it doesn't seem to be that way. My 3-4 shift is a lot softer than any other shifts.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I used this Holley bracket when the manifold was switched and I could't use the stock bracket. I modified it to work the 200 4r and it just gets bolted down with one bolt on the quadrajet.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-95/overview/

hly-20-95_m.jpg

Mx372

Apprentice
Jul 30, 2012
jrm81bu said:
Mx372 said:

Can't totally agree with this. Yes it controls line pressure, but with higher line pressure the shifts will also get firmer. So feel isn't just controlled by the springs. A soft shift can be caused by low line pressure/loose cable. You would think it would be the same in every gear but in practice it doesn't seem to be that way. My 3-4 shift is a lot softer than any other shifts.

it will make the shift firmer by HOLDING the gear better. how hard it shifts is controlled by the accumulators. if the valve body isn't set up right you'll get mushy shifts were ever the valve body was weak in your case 3-4. if the tv cable isn't right you'll get weak "searching" gears were it always falls out and wont hold a gear properly causing slipping in every gear ending in burning the entire trans up. My trans hits the same in every gear.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Mx372 said:
jrm81bu said:
Mx372 said:

it will make the shift firmer by HOLDING the gear better. how hard it shifts is controlled by the accumulators. if the valve body isn't set up right you'll get mushy shifts were ever the valve body was weak in your case 3-4. if the tv cable isn't right you'll get weak "searching" gears were it always falls out and wont hold a gear properly causing slipping in every gear ending in burning the entire trans up. My trans hits the same in every gear.

Still not the case. Early on I had a bone stock 83 Firebird. I threw a 600 Edelbrock on and did not hook up the tv cable. The shifts were at very low rpm just putting around and then would slip to the point of never really shifting if I was standing on it. So I pulled the cable out about halfway and put a cable stop on it. Well at full throtlle it'd still slip, but at light throttle it'd hit so hard it'd chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift. So it definetly changed how hard it shifted with nothing but changing the tension on the tv cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor