700r4 Stator ring problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamllc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2015
I have been following the ATSG manual on this overhaul, never rebuilt one of these before. The original stator rings were scarfed and newer ones are solid. ATSG recommended using the solid rings, so I got some. I also have the installation and resizing tools. I installed the rings and left the resizing die on for a full day. When I remove the die the rings expand far enough out of the groove that they will not go into the reverse drum. The parts are all on the bench so I can see what is happening. I even tried beveling the edge of the bushing in the reverse drum hoping that would help the Teflon ring slide in. No luck. Anyone else ever have this problem? I have the scarfed rings that came with my master kit but haven't tried them yet. Every video I have watched, the pump just drops right in, what am I doing wrong?

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Did you replace the stator shaft or the bushings I have already had them where The bushing was too small for the turbine shaft to fit through I ended up honing it with a brake wheel cylinder to size mike the turbine shaft and the inside diameter of the stator shaft to check your clearance I hope this helps don’t get discouraged make sure you have enough clearance because if you put it together tight it’s gonna walk that bushing into your converter

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
Are you able to use a thin piece of laminate around the shaft and drop the drum on? I remember having to do that a lot but don’t remember the Teflon rings exactly.

mamllc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2015
Did you replace the stator shaft or the bushings I have already had them where The bushing was too small for the turbine shaft to fit through I ended up honing it with a brake wheel cylinder to size mike the turbine shaft and the inside diameter of the stator shaft to check your clearance I hope this helps don’t get discouraged make sure you have enough clearance because if you put it together tight it’s gonna walk that bushing into your converter

I did not replace the stator but did change all the bushings. I checked them all for fit and clearance when I changed them and everything was good. The problem showed up when I was trying to install the pump into the case. I pulled the reverse drum back out so I could get a better look, it definitely is hanging up on the Teflon ring.

I replaced the four rings on the input shaft too, leaving the resizing tool on overnight. When I took it off the rings did not spring back out like the pump rings are doing. Not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor