700r4 swap gbody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2015
hi I got a 1987 cutlass with a 200r4 it is a v6 car I have a 350 and 700r4 trans what problems will I run into for the 700r4 swap I have the v8 motor mounts already

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Will need a different or modified transmission cross member, Proper brackets and linkages to hook the TV cable to your induction system, correct driveshaft length. May also need a lockup converter controller of some sort.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
For the Motor swap you might need a V8 radiator. When i installed a 700R4 in my 81 MalibuI cut the factory drive shaft about 2.5/8, measure before cutting. I also cut the mount and elongated the hole on factory crossmember ( because with the crossmember bolted in the mount would hit the trans pan). The factory throttle bracket wouldnt work, So I used one from a G body 305/200 4R combo.

Doug

I had a 700R4 in my Cutlass for a few years. The problem I had was the linkage (stock 200R4) didn't have quite enough throw. If it went all the way into park, I couldn't get it into first. If it went into first easily, I couldn't get it into park. I used a toggle switch for torque converter lock up, built my own cross member and had the drive shaft shortened one inch.
Eventually, I had the 200R4 built by Extreme Automatics and have been smiling ever since.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Make sure the throttle valve (TV) cable is set correctly. IIRC, you push in the D-shaped button and rotate the throttle linkage to the stop, then let go of the button. If you are using a Quadrajet, find the cbale bracket on a B-car or 80s pickup truck The small square hole is for the throttle cable and the big one is for the TV cable. Holley and Edelbrock make brackets for their carbs with the TV valve provision. This is not the same as a TH350 kickdown cable. If you drive around with the cable set wrong, I have heard this can wreck the transmission.

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
your swap is kind of stupid. The 200r4 is a much superior transmission to the 700 in several respects. The 700r4 trans is what someone like me buys whose trying to get rid of a metric 3 speed but can't afford to buy a 200r4. Why anyone would proceed w a 700 swap and throw out a 200r4 is beyond me. You are lucky to have the 200r4 w the v6, most v6 cars have the 3 speed. As a few members hinted, the 700r4 fits like a glove on monte carlo but it's actually not a direct fit on BOP cars. Ditching the 200r4 is a huge mistake.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
If it were me, I would keep the 2oo4r that way you don't have to worry about trans mount problems and driveshaft problems. Change your frame mounts to mount the chevy engine and bolt it up to your 2oo4r.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
your swap is kind of stupid. The 200r4 is a much superior transmission to the 700 in several respects. The 700r4 trans is what someone like me buys whose trying to get rid of a metric 3 speed but can't afford to buy a 200r4. Why anyone would proceed w a 700 swap and throw out a 200r4 is beyond me. You are lucky to have the 200r4 w the v6, most v6 cars have the 3 speed. As a few members hinted, the 700r4 fits like a glove on monte carlo but it's actually not a direct fit on BOP cars. Ditching the 200r4 is a huge mistake.

I'm not quite sure you would think that a STOCK 200-4R is better then a STOCK 700R4... In stock form the 700 is designed to handle more HP/TQ... They both have their issues and weak points and strong points. Now once you crack them open and start upgrading them, at that point it comes down to how much $$$ you plan to dump into them. Both can be "bulletproofed" if you spend the money.
The biggest failures on 700R4's come from operator failure to understand and set up the TV cable correctly.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I like them both, esp the manual valve body 700r4, but I think the 200r4 is better at handling torque. The 700 might shift faster but it has failed in a lot of my good friends' face after not very many years of service. I suspect a 200r4 or a good 400 trans would have lasted them at least a few years longer. I too was looking at 'buying a 700r4' for my olds til I rode in a Cutlass with one and could hear it making annoying thud noises despite my friend best efforts to mount it. I like how the 200r4 is attached solidly with no give anywhere; I'm sure in a crash it would be better to have stock 200r4 there bolted in solid, even though the iceman crossmember is very good too. In 2010 I left a 200r4 from a monte carlo ss at someone's house after a minor disagreement about something else and I always regretted that move. I remember it seemed like at the time I couldn't even get someone to come check it out for $150 but now I see people selling them for 4-500 a piece. I didn't realize what I had at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor