700R4 Trans Fluid Pressure question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
I have a 700r4 originally from a 1986 B body. It shifted really soft and I installed a B&M shift kit in the Heavy Duty & RV option with a QJ carb. It worked better, but still pretty soft on the shifts.
I moved the trans to another car with a more hopped up engine (GM Hot Cam) and a Holley carb. I bought another shift kit for the pieces to move it up to Street and Strip. It didn't work well testing and I since realized that a different TV bracket was required for the Holley. I think I have that fixed.
I had also installed a B&M 2400 stall convertor but it stalled at 1200 rpm. Over a year had gone by from the purchase, so the warranty was gone and I put the stock convertor back in.
In the B&M shift kit instruction it has a chart for trans fluid pressure. It doesn't specify HD or S&S mode. The chart suggests:
75-85 psi in Park,100-140 in reverse and 160-295 in 2nd & 1st.
I'm seeing:
150 psi in park, 240 in reverse, 150 in 2nd & 1st
The car isn't licenced yet and I tested it easy in front of the house and it shifted firm into 1st and 2nd.
Is this ATF pressure ok, or is something wrong and the trans will self destruct?

Pete

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had the same problem on my 2004R, good reverse pressures and manual 1 and 2 pressures, 3 and OD, not so much. Did the B&M kit come with bigger boost valves? I went to the .555" boost valve with stiffer spring. It brought it up from 180-185 to 210-215 and much better shift feel. I assume you adjusted the TV cable.

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
I had the same problem on my 2004R, good reverse pressures and manual 1 and 2 pressures, 3 and OD, not so much. Did the B&M kit come with bigger boost valves? I went to the .555" boost valve with stiffer spring. It brought it up from 180-185 to 210-215 and much better shift feel. I assume you adjusted the TV cable.

I just used a $50 shift kit where you drill some holes and use different springs in a few spots. Boost valve is stock. My concern was if it was too much pressure. It sound like you have more pressure than me. Maybe its ok.
I spent a bunch of time trying to get the TV bracket located just right. I think it is adjusted properly. Compress the tv cable lock, and open carb to full throttle, then release lock.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
55-65 psi @ min tv in Park, Neutral, and Manual 3rd
155-200 psi @ min tv in Reverse
165-190 psi @ min tv in Manual 2nd and Manual Lo.

155-200 psi @ full tv in Park, Neutral, and Manual 3rd
250-320 psi @ full tv in Reverse
165-190 psi @ full tv in Manual 2nd and Manual Lo

Pressures are @ 1000 rpm.

These are factory pressures. If any mods have been done, they could change one way or the other some. It is critical that the tv system be adjusted correctly to get these pressures in check or the transmission will not last. Proper cable geometry is also key in maintaining proper pressure from idle to full throttle.

You will have to set the tv cable to get the pressures @ 1000 rpm first. Then you go for a road test to see what pressures you get @ full tv. You must be able to get the initial pressures first.

Give Dana @ Probuilt Automatics a call and he will be able to get things sorted out for you or at least point you in the direction you should go with this. 909-795-1876 He is one of the best in the country when it comes to these transmissions.

Reactions: 1 user

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
If your pressure is too low the trans will destroy itself quickly. Verify your throttle bracket is correctly aligned and the TV cable travels through the correct arc. Adjust the TV cable at full throttle (ENGINE OFF).

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
Are you doing these with and without tv pressure? the info 455'edregal just posted is a great reference.

Thanks for the comments.The pressures I'm seeing are at idle (approx.1000 rpm) in gears, which appear high by the chart. Haven't road tested with a gauge or pulled the cable out full with engine running. There are a bunch of new spacers in the accumulator. Don't know if they impact pressure.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/100/130/130-70239.pdf

Pete

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
I've been doing some internet investigation on other forums of my problem of high 700r4 trans fluid pressure in idle. It seems that sticking throttle valves is a common problem. As the cable pulls out the pressure should rise from 65 psi (75-85 with the B&M shift kit) to 119-151 (166-203 with B&M shift kit) at full tv. No matter where the cable is it stays at 175 now.
From other forums, suggestions were to pull the tv cable out at idle sharply a few times and it might free up.
So I'm thinking the TV is stuck in. Although GM didn't install a return spring,you can buy a tv anti stick spring.
https://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/700R4_2004R_transmission_parts_p/350-00035370a.htm
I was wondering if anyone has had this problem. Does the diagnosis sound logical?
I'm thinking the next move will be drop the valve body and pull the throttle valve spool out, make sure it is moving free, and put one of these anti stick springs in on the back side of the spool.
Any thoughts?
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor