700R4 TV Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Since im new to OD transmissions, im looking to replace the TV cable that came with the car, the one installed does not have the typical "D" shaped adjuster button.

Im just not sure what length cable to get, i've done a bit of searching around and find ones that are made with a certain length only and others that are adjustable, more universal if you will.

Even though whats in use now is working like it should, im just not too crazy about it, i would like to have a more better cable that will give me more piece of mind for years to come while cruisin for a bruisin.

The example pictures 1 & 2 will show what im working with now, you can see how the carb throttle and the trans throttle cables are mounted, looks to be using the stock GM carb throttle and TH350 kick down cable bracket mounted to the intake like a factory style setup with the power brake booster vacuum hose passthrough.

Frankly, im suprised everything is working as good as it is, but i can do better, i plan on removing that gm stocker and use the holley carb throttle/tv cable(20-95) pic 3 and the holley tv cable geometry corrector(20-121) pic 4 brackets with my holley 770cfm avenger(80770-1/non polished).... so the question is, what reliable "unversal" tv cable shall i use that everyones had a good experience with for malibu cars?

Better + Proper = Awesome Sauce

Thanks

Attachments

• TV cable 1.JPG
    TV cable 1.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 131
  • TV cable 2.JPG
    TV cable 2.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 201
  • holley 20-95 throttle_tv bracket.jpg
    holley 20-95 throttle_tv bracket.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 130
  • holley 20-121 tv corrector bracket.jpg
    holley 20-121 tv corrector bracket.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 137

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Almost forgot about this post.

So... noone has any suggestions on a TV cable thats good to use as well as reliable?

Thanks

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
are you looking to replace the cable only because it has a different adjuster than the typical push d,or is it bad?that style is not as easy to adjust compared to the other one but once you dial it in you never have to do it again.if that cable physically fits the bill but you don't like it,measure that one and buy a new one that has the preferred adjuster bias.as far as brackets go those holley ones are solid.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
TV cable adjustment needs a line pressure gauge.

If you have a completely stock trans and motor, then a stock cable with the correct carb bracket will work. But I' not down with that. Line pressures are the key. Do you know what line pressures you need and n what situations? And do you knw that you don't affect shifting rpm and timing with line pressure?

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
ZZ4 motor and 700r4 trans from a f-body it seems, it has that torque arm/bar mounts on the tail housing that camaros/firebirds use that connects the trans to the rear diff for stiffness.

This current setup as you see here came with the car, it seems to run pretty solid as is, seems to be set correctly from the previous owner, it just looks kinda rinky dinky to me, and the cable tension doesnt exaclty feel right to me as described in many YT videos i've seen.

As for a line pressure quage, this 700r4 is the later model, no ports located on the outside of the case like earlier models, and besides, i will not be messing with that kind of thing anyway, figure i can either set the tension by dropping the pan to make sure the cable actually pulls on the pressure lever correctly and to make sure it butts up against the line pressure rod or i can just set it manually at the carb side.

Good example(ignore the sales pitch for the carb linkage) -

Reactions: 1 user

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
ZZ4 motor and 700r4 trans from a f-body it seems, it has that torque arm/bar mounts on the tail housing that camaros/firebirds use that connects the trans to the rear diff for stiffness.

This current setup as you see here came with the car, it seems to run pretty solid as is, seems to be set correctly from the previous owner, it just looks kinda rinky dinky to me, and the cable tension doesnt exaclty feel right to me as described in many YT videos i've seen.

As for a line pressure quage, this 700r4 is the later model, no ports located on the outside of the case like earlier models, and besides, i will not be messing with that kind of thing anyway, figure i can either set the tension by dropping the pan to make sure the cable actually pulls on the pressure lever correctly and to make sure it butts up against the line pressure rod or i can just set it manually at the carb side.

Good example(ignore the sales pitch for the carb linkage) -
good info, one thing i will point out. he shows the valve body and presses the lever and says it is the TV valve. that is not the TV valve, that is the plunger for the TV valve. the valve is in the VB first, the plunger is exposed the actual valve is hid ahead of the plunger. if the valve is stuck you may think it is free if you see or feel resistance on the plunger or cable. in reality the valve may be stuck. also buy the best cable you can, there are cheap ones and good ones. i set all cables by eyeball and feel. there is no magic answer how to set a cable. the best way is to hook the cable up and set it about half way with the button so you leave yourself room for adjustment. leave just a touch of slack in the cable wire before the carb throttle is moved. when the gas peddle is pressed it should just begin to move the cable. drive the car to set shift points. for a latter shift adjust cable towards the firewall, it only takes a couple of clicks to increase. for softer and earlier shifts move the cable forward. remember this cable also controls the passing gear. if you have no passing gear you need more pressure, move the cable towards firewall till you have passing gear. if you cannot get passing gear or the shift points don't change then you either have a stuck TV valve or the cable is not set right. if you have questions i will be happy to help. i have been a professional transmission man for 45 years, just retired,,,,,,,,,,,,

mike

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
yes that looks like a good cable to me. the ones i have used for years i get through my transmission parts dealer, you have to be a shop to buy one of those. but the B&M looks good. if you need any help just ask,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

mike

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Honestly... i wouldnt have minded using the GM OEM TV cable, but im not certain on the length needed for proper operation and not planning to use the OEM throttle/tv brackets that bolts to the intake, well, i am at the moment as you can see from the first post pictures, but that setup was from the previous owner, but i plan on using the HOLLEY throttle/TV bracket that bolts up directly to the carb instead.

The TV cable currently in use definately looks aftermarket and nonadjustble(length), but i havent narrowed it down, as in the brand just yet, i just dont like that metal loop end of that cable like this cable could be used for a TH350 as well in some weird way, to me, it looks like the case length was too short because of the OEM throttle/tv bracket attached to the intake and that loop is like an extender, but again, im new to OD trans and i just wanted a more correct TV cable, adjustable length or not.

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I used the bowtie overdrives tv-made-ez setup on my 700r4 / Edelbrock proflo efi and it works well. A bit pricey, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor