700r4 TV & Detent Cable Brackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I did not build this engine and transmission, or set it up. I was watching a video from Holley about proper mounting brackets for the 700r4 TV and Detent cables.

forward to 1min, 6sec http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWurb3N3 ... re=related

notice the mounting bracket for the cables, and the throttle bracket. This bracket and throttle arm sets the correct position for the two cables to work with proper travel in relation to each other.

here's the setup I currently have
DSC09844.jpg

This looks like a OEM brackets (likely not meant for a 700r4?). The two cables are attached on the normal Holley throttle bracket locations, which places the TV cable a little farther forward than the correct Holley bracket shown in the video.

... so, is this okay?
the transmission seems to shift well and has held up to 4 years of drag racing abuse... what could go wrong if I don't correct this bracket situation?

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
if this has held up to 4 years of drag racing and hasnt given you an issue, then i would say its fine :mrgreen: would have went out long ago within a short period of time

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
it's hard to tell without measurements...
but from the video, under resting throttle location, the Holley bracket has the same location I do for the detent cable, but the tv cable is located higher up and farther back than mine... visually, it looks less than an inch farther back...

I don't know anything about this stuff... if the tv cable is tighter (farther forward) it causes earlier/harder shifts, and if the cable is looser (farther back) it causes slower/smoother shifts?

my shifts are pretty progressive... smooth/soft under cruising and quick/hard under full throttle. The only thing I've noticed is that it goes into over drive pretty early, like 40km/hr
... but I can't compare this to anything because this is my first OD transmission.

gbondo57

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2010
Central Okla/USA
We just had a 200R4 rebuilt. It didn't seem to work right until the shop looked at the setup. A Holley/Edelbrock combo. They insisted we get the HLY 20-95 bracket. Welllll, it runs properly. The shop said THAT cable controls pressure. HOWEVER, 4 years of street/strip beatings, PROBABLY, should be left alone. 8)

redboy504

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2010
New Orleans, LA
In America we have a saying. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'm not sure if they use that in Canada. But after 4 years, I think if it was gonna go bad it would have already. I'm just starting too do some research on the subject myself. I understand that the cables can be adjusted so if there is only a half inch difference in the brackets maybe it was corrected with the adjustments. Any other brackets would throw off the adjustments and cause problems. That's just my opinion.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Just to check you said overdrive kicks in @ 40km/hr so that's 25mph right? I would say check out getting those brackets b/c your overdrive shouldn't kick in till # least 40mph.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
yes, if I am cruising super slow, have my foot off the gas just coasting, the stall has enough slip that she can stay in overdrive at low speeds. If I get back on the gas, she'll go back in 3rd or 2nd depending how much throttle I give it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor