700R4-Valve Body Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
We have had a problem with what I think is the valve body in this transmission. We got the transmission from someone else, and when we rebuilt it, some weird shift kit stuff was done inside the valve body and separator plate. From what I remember the check balls were moved, some holes drilled out etc. We put the valve body back together the way it came apart, figuring it'd be fine. Part throttle crusing it has nice firm shifts, and doesn't seem to have any issues. Until you you floor it above 50mph, it won't down shift like it supposed to, it just kind of burbles along in 3rd-4th gear. The TV cable is adjusted properly, and the fluid is always full and clean. I'm thinking a stock valve body and separator plate will fix this issue. Then I can add another shift kit to that valve body, so I know exactly what is done to it. Anything else you guys can think of? Right now it only has 4500rpm shift governor, but I don't think that is the cause of this issue. Its been like this since we built it, it isn't hurting the transmission any, but now I'm finally ready to get to the bottom of it. You'll hear in the video it makes the 1-2 shift nice, the 2-3 is ok, and then it goes straight to 3-4.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
was the transmission working when you got it?

I've had this transmission for probably 3 years. And yes, worked fine before I blew it up 2 years ago. It had a 2-3 "flair" when shifting automatically in drive, the rpm would spike randomly 5-800 rpms. And it still had the same shifting issue it has now. I burnt up the 2-4 band at the track and rebuilt it. After we rebuilt it, the "flair" was gone, but the shifting issue still remained.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
I would definitely get another VB. Without knowing what kit was put in or what exactly was done, you are pretty much wasting your time. Also, if all the check balls have been removed, that could be part of the problem. Never heard of leaving them all out, even for a heavily modified 700.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I would definitely get another VB. Without knowing what kit was put in or what exactly was done, you are pretty much wasting your time. Also, if all the check balls have been removed, that could be part of the problem. Never heard of leaving them all out, even for a heavily modified 700.

We didn't leave them all out, just put them back where we found them. But yes, I agree. Stock valve bodies are cheap, I think I may go that route, so I can be totally sure of whats actually in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor